1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS ROCK H81M-HDS
Kingston 64G SSD
Win 8.1 (new in box retail version)

First, the bios in this OS seems very nice! It recognizes the SSD as a drive but when I install windows from DVD or USB it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu"

Now, I'm trying to install as SATA=AHCI not IDE. I'm quite certain I could install via the SATA=IDE route, but I wanted to setup my first AHCI machine. I can see the partitions, delete, format etc. I can even point the browser to the DVD that came with the motherboard and install the SATA drivers but once I arrive back at the install screen, this same error.

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
199 Posts
Strange...
Maybe double check all the cables are pushed in on the drive and motherboard? I have had problems with loose SATA cables before.
Also if you haven't already maybe try formatting the disk on a windows machine, I had alot of problems with one of my drives after linux was previously on it.

That's all I can think of anyway, could be something in bios is stopping it from working properly.
biggrin.gif

Good luck
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you are unable to install with the BIOS set to AHCI, then install with it set as IDE. You can always enable AHCI after Windows is installed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cables are solid, drive can be formatted and recognized from bios also
I didn't know I could ahci AFTER installing! So I can just ide first and then go back and change it?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts