·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
is the gigabyte Ds3 still the best mobo for overclocking?

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Good idea, you can have a very nice PC if you use parts from your actual rig.
Keep your Hard drive/monitor/power supply/sound card/graphic card/and DDRAM. Your DDRAM is fast because it must be running dual channel with 4 sticks, keep it for now. For the motherboard, I would recommend a Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI x 16 motherboard.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
View Post

Good idea, you can have a very nice PC if you use parts from your actual rig.
Keep your Hard drive/monitor/power supply/sound card/graphic card/and DDRAM. Your DDRAM is fast because it must be running dual channel with 4 sticks, keep it for now. For the motherboard, I would recommend a Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI x 16 motherboard.

my current mobo doesnt have DDR2... So i have to get new ram unfortunately :/

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
That looks great for the price; make sure to apply Arctic Silver 5 on the CPU Cooler to see a bigger drop in temps and except to see double the FPS in games with a C2D over S939.

Actually, I'd get an E6300 and get an 680i or P5B-Deluxe motherboard. Plus, with that money saved you can get a Tuniq Tower from SVC or a Big Typhoon (Not VX!) from Newegg.

[OCN[ Ninja_Boy

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja_Boy
View Post

That looks great for the price; make sure to apply Arctic Silver 5 on the CPU Cooler to see a bigger drop in temps and except to see double the FPS in games with a C2D over S939.

Actually, I'd get an E6300 and get an 680i or P5B-Deluxe motherboard. Plus, with that money saved you can get a Tuniq Tower from SVC or a Big Typhoon (Not VX!) from Newegg.

[OCN[ Ninja_Boy

nah, because id rather have the raw horsepower, and besides, i will never own more than one vcard... case and point.... my ati x1900xt is already obsolete, so y buy another one?

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
I'd agree that 680i is pointless with an ATI card. The p5b deluxe is the best single gpu supported mobo for overclocking.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
I like your thinking
You don't need to drop over $150 for a nice Core 2 Duo motherboard, just at least get some mid-end RAM with Heat Spreaders.

·
Banned
931 Posts
I have a P5B Deluxe/WiFi AP and Crucial 10th Anniversary DDR2 2GB kit for sale right now. Just check my for sale thread. It works great!!

I just need to sell it for money to pay bills.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also, im just looking for the best overclocking mobo for that proc. Everyone has been able to push that ram i selected past 400mhz fsb at 4-4-4-8 which should be fine. Im shooting for 3.5-3.6ghz. From what ive been told, the DS3 is the best one pciX slot board to do it.

·
Banned
931 Posts
P5B Deluxe is the best PCI-e mobo out their for OCing. I got mine with my Crucial 10th Anniversary memory to 974 with 4-4-4-8 timings wth complete stability.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also, i would be willing to spend more on the heatsink, but i want something that will be noticeably better than the arctic freezer 7, and not too much of a pain to install (big typhoon is such a pain...)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by todd258
View Post

P5B Deluxe is the best PCI-e mobo out their for OCing. I got mine with my Crucial 10th Anniversary memory to 974 with 4-4-4-8 timings wth complete stability.

Thnx man, but i want new stuff, and also that ram is 667 ram, which i wouldn't feel comfortable with. Thnx for the offer tho

I like being able to easily return stuff to newegg if there is a problem with it. I don't like going thru the manufacturer. They take too long.

·
Banned
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBD1986
View Post

also, i would be willing to spend more on the heatsink, but i want something that will be noticeably better than the arctic freezer 7, and not too much of a pain to install (big typhoon is such a pain...)

But the pain is worth it. I have a Tuniq Tower 120 for sale too, which is the best air cooler out there.

·
Banned
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBD1986
View Post

Thnx man, but i want new stuff, and also that ram is 667 ram, which i wouldn't feel comfortable with. Thnx for the offer tho

I like being able to easily return stuff to newegg if there is a problem with it. I don't like going thru the manufacturer

It's DDR2 800 Ballistix memory with a different heatspreader on it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by todd258 View Post
It's DDR2 800 Ballistix memory with a different heatspreader on it.
from ur sale thread:

"Crucial 10th Anniversary Edition 2GB DDR2 667 $285 shipped (D9's; I have gone to DDR2 974 with these, just didn't go higher, because I didn't want to risk breaking them from poor cooling)"

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but either way, the stuff im getting is the same price new as urs, and it hits upwards of 500mhz fsb

NOTE: This is way off topic tho, im looking for NEW stuff. Please suggestions only. The price really isnt an issue, i just want the best value with very good performance

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBD1986 View Post
back to the heatsink question ^^

i hear good things about these? are they easy to install and uninstall?
http://xoxide.com/tuniq-t-120-hsf.html

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
I'd get a P5B-Deluxe, Super Talent Ram, and E6600 with a Tuniq Tower. Games will run silky smooth at max.
The Tuniq is pretty easy to install, everything's straight forward.

[OCN] Ninja_Boy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts