Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, had a lot of help from the Overclockers.com community, and just realized I hadn't put it up here. Most of the primary components were bought last year, while all of the water parts and a couple of drives were from this year. So, here's a short list of components for you:

i7 [email protected] 4.9GHz (still testing full stability, though it has passed 8 hours IXTU stress) under EK Supremacy EVO
2x EVGA GTX 980 ACX2 SLI with EK FC980 blocks and backplates and SLI bridge
Asrock Z97 Extreme6
G.Skill RipjawsX 2400MHz 2x8GB
EVGA 750 G2
Samsung 850 EVOs in 250GB and 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM 2.5" 1TB
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D with Airflow kit
Alphacool Nexxxos XT45 360/240 and ST30 240
Primochill CTR D5 enabled res with Alphacool D5 pump
Primochill Adv. LRT 1/2-3/4 tubing
all Bitspower fittings, blue and nickel
8x NB eLoops
Steelseries Sensei
Rosewill Apollo RK-9100xBBL
Razer Firefly
Turtle Beach PX22
4 XBox One controllers with Wireless dongle
Samsung 28" UHD monitor

The build log is here, if anyone is interested. Highlights are above, and I'll add in a couple of pics too:









And I appologize for the terrible quality of the following pics, they were taken with my phone, and I'm a terrible photographer anyways.





So, what do you all think? It's easily the fastest, most powerful system I've ever touched, so I'm pretty happy with it. My next build (after I upgrade this to the point of not being able to any more) will be an extreme build with an X-SKU CPU and hardline tubing. Until then, this will do me fine (with GPU upgrades, of course).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts
That is a lovely build. Now, let me add something that will take this to the next level. You don't "want" GSYNC, you "need" gsync. I am not in anyway a salesman, in fact just a humble chemist by trade, hbut G-Sync has brought that "console" like feeling along with the PC graphics and power to my rig. If you are still in the exchange period on that sammy 4k I would look into it. While pricey, I could always buy a ferrari and then octoganal shaped tires to save money at the end
smile.gif
Seriously though, I have not had a stutter or hitch across 10+ games beginning to end with my G-Sync monitor, but read about stutters and poor drivers on here all the time. Do yourself a favor, just hear me out and look into it.
smile.gif
Great build!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicfx View Post

That is a lovely build. Now, let me add something that will take this to the next level. You don't "want" GSYNC, you "need" gsync. I am not in anyway a salesman, in fact just a humble chemist by trade, hbut G-Sync has brought that "console" like feeling along with the PC graphics and power to my rig. If you are still in the exchange period on that sammy 4k I would look into it. While pricey, I could always buy a ferrari and then octoganal shaped tires to save money at the end
smile.gif
Seriously though, I have not had a stutter or hitch across 10+ games beginning to end with my G-Sync monitor, but read about stutters and poor drivers on here all the time. Do yourself a favor, just hear me out and look into it.
smile.gif
Great build!
thumb.gif
I considered 1440p w/GSync when I built the rig initially. I went with UHD simply for the fact that this monitor was refurbished when I bought it, so it was only $500 last year. However, I've had no issues with stuttering or screen tearing or hitching etc. with it, so I haven't considered an upgrade. Honestly, I can't imagine gaming at less than UHD now.

Eventually, I'll invest in a slightly larger UHD screen, and I hope that GSync/Freesync has come down enough to include that as well, depending on which camp I'm with at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlaw View Post

I considered 1440p w/GSync when I built the rig initially. I went with UHD simply for the fact that this monitor was refurbished when I bought it, so it was only $500 last year. However, I've had no issues with stuttering or screen tearing or hitching etc. with it, so I haven't considered an upgrade. Honestly, I can't imagine gaming at less than UHD now.

Eventually, I'll invest in a slightly larger UHD screen, and I hope that GSync/Freesync has come down enough to include that as well, depending on which camp I'm with at the time.
They do have 4K gsync

LED
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009658

IPS
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1220628&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvOC5BRCb_8yNmZ_ls9IBEiQACTz8vpgEX7Vjwv4Xd2WS-bFWfRUEz1Iq8wmcDJig0Lq7my8aAmj88P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934715962%2C&A=details&Q=

But as you see IPS is pretty pricey! But if you have smooth frames then stay with what you have. I bought my 980Ti's and Gsync monitor at the same time. I was convinced it was GSync, maybe the drivers do work well.
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That LED monitor is still $200 more than I payed for mine, and it was a much bigger gap a year ago, I'm sure. For $500, the options were either the one I got or a 120Hz 1440p monitor that was smaller, but had GSync. Were I building now, I would have done a few things differently, but this was a good as it got when I bought it.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: chronicfx

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlaw View Post

That LED monitor is still $200 more than I payed for mine, and it was a much bigger gap a year ago, I'm sure. For $500, the options were either the one I got or a 120Hz 1440p monitor that was smaller, but had GSync. Were I building now, I would have done a few things differently, but this was a good as it got when I bought it.
I forgot to say... Welcome to Overclock.Net you will like it here and definitely get to know the very knowledgeable people you encounter when you ask questions. I have belonged to several sites and there has been none other that compares to the quickness and accuracy of info given when you are in need of an opinion. Just be ready for several of them, and for those two to fight right before your eyes lol
biggrin.gif


Up to you to pick what is worth it for you, but I wouldn't change a thing on OCN. Welcome to the community!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome!

I wasn't suggesting that your advice was wrong, just that at the time it wasn't an option in my price range. Once UHD becomes more mainstream, I'll be looking into better options, but for right now, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

I've been active over at Overclockers.com for about 3 years now, and it's pretty much the same over there. I just figured I'd show my work to some others as well. I'm pretty proud of it, and nobody around where I live really has any idea when it comes to high performance systems.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top