Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first time posting on the forum. I've been reading posts on the site for about a month and finally decided to sign up. I'm planning on building a new PC in the April/May time frame once Ivy Bridge is released and need help from you all.

Edit: Its been a couple months since I originally wrote this post, but I've gone back and made updates to what I'm planning on buying.

Overview:
- I want to build a new Ivy Bridge System ~1000-$1500 range. Parts: PSU, Mobo, CPU, Cooling, Ram, Storage.
- I currently own a 24" Dell 2408WFP monitor, Radeon HD 6850 (purchased a few months ago), and an Antec P182 case. The rest of my PC is really old (Athlon X2 4200 2.2 GHz + Asus Mobo).
- I really want to learn a lot about overclocking and plan to spend a significant amount of time perfecting a highly overclocked 24/7 stable system. I'd like to achieve a 5+ GHz. Any guides or suggested reading to prepare me for overclocking between now and April/May would be much appreciated.
- I'm an avid PC gamer and would like to run games like Skyrim, FPS, and future games on maxed ultimate settings.
- I'd like to start Folding @ home.

Here are the parts I'm thinking about:

MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe 1155 Intel Z77 - $275 on Newegg

- I've been looking at all the new Z77 Mobo features and reviews and I'm pretty set on this one due to the fact it has on board Wifi and Bluetooth. I like the idea of controlling media (TV/Music) with my I-phone
smile.gif
. Yes its pricier than some of the others but initial reviews seem pretty good.
- supports Sata 6Gb/s Raid 0, and USB 3.0, SLI, + all the Z77 features.

CPU: i7-3770K
- Estimated cost for i7-3570K = $225 and i7-3770K = $332 (wiki).

Cooling: Corsair H100, $100 - Purchased. And 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans, 1850 RPM for Push/Pull. ~$80 - Purchased
- Does this work with my Antec P182 case?
- Does this have any negative aspecst? Ie: Leaking? How long does it last?
- I've read that this is one of the best water coolers available for the money but I'm open to new suggestions.

Ram: 16 GB (4x4GB) DDR3 @ 2133 (PC3 17000 G SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB (Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL. $100 on Newegg w/ Promo
- I've read that GSKILL has good RAM overclock kits, but understand that overclocking may not impact performance that much so I'm not sure if it's worth it to overclock the Ram.

Pwr Sup: Corsair HX850W PSU, $150 - purchased
- I'd like to buy a good future proof one that is capable of supporting SLI (up to 2 cards), and a 24/7 overclocked system. So I'm assuming this means ~Silver rating?

Video Card: Radeon HD 6850 (currently own this but will upgrade soon after purchase)
- I'm planning on upgrading this in a couple months.

Case: Antec P182 (Currently own) Update: Corsair Obsidian 650D $170.0 Purchased

Storage: 240 GB Sata III SSD - Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240BG3A-B - $200 on Newegg
- I plan to install Windows 7 Ultimate on the SSD.
- In the future I'd like to upgrade to an SSD Raid 0 setup when the prices come down a bit.
- I may purchase a regular HD to store music, pictures, ect.

How does this sound? Any suggestions/modifications for what parts I should get? Should I wait until May to buy everything or maybe try and get the cooling and power supply now? Thanks for your help!
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Hi and welcome to OCN. A Z77 motherboard will be a good idea at the time. I'm not a folder, nor am I an expert on folding, but you might benefit from an i7 in a folding/gaming computer. If your main focus is gaming, the i7 is not worth it. The H100 is a no go with that case. You only have ventilation for 1 fan on top. The H100 has a 240mm long radiator. Antec doesn't make the best cases if you get my meaning. It may be a good idea to reinvest in something better when you do this build. As far as ram, it makes little impact at all. GSkill is fine. The power supply you need is determined by your components. Ivybridge will use less power than sandybridge (which is already great in that aspect). 6850 is a very power efficient card as well. AMD/Nvidia claim their new gpu's will use less power as well. With a good 750w you should have no worries and be able to run any 2 gpu's fine. The full line of AMD HD7000 series will be out when you do your build. It's best to revisit the GPU/PSU questions when you actually know what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I suggest you get the Corsair HX850W PSU.Everyone in here seems to own it and is very good.You can get a SSD now and start using it also.I forget if the Athlon X2 4200+ is socket AM2 but the H100 says it is compatible with that socket.Not sure if you wanna put apart your current rig to test it though.As for the GPU,maybe by the time Ivy comes out,the new Nvidia cards will be out or you can sell your 6850 now and upgrade with the HD7970 then xfire it later.It's all up to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses so far! I realize the H100 won't fit inside the case, but I saw the two holes for water cooling on the back of the case and thought maybe the heat sync could sit outside the case. I'm not just sure if the H100 has long enough tubes for that to work. I suppose investing in a new case would be an option. I just looked up the compatibility for the H100 and found the list of cases it works with. I'll have to do some more research into this.

PureBlackFire,
Any reason you suggest the Z77 over the Z75 chipset? I haven't really found any information on these two except what Wiki says.

Bleachigo,
Thanks for the power supply suggestion. I'll definitely keep that one in mind. The X2 CPU I have is socket 939, so much older =(. This is going to be a big upgrade for me lol.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus5k View Post

Any reason you suggest the Z77 over the Z75 chipset? I haven't really found any information on these two except what Wiki says.
Bleachigo,
Thanks for the power supply suggestion. I'll definitely keep that one in mind. The X2 CPU I have is socket 939, so much older =(. This is going to be a big upgrade for me lol.
This MSI Z77 Mobo has a lot of new generation connectors, which seems like the biggest upgrade to me. But they are all subject to change until we have a more confirmed DOR on the Ivy Bridges.. My 2 cents on the subject
biggrin.gif

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the responses so far! I realize the H100 won't fit inside the case, but I saw the two holes for water cooling on the back of the case and thought maybe the heat sync could sit outside the case. I'm not just sure if the H100 has long enough tubes for that to work. I suppose investing in a new case would be an option. I just looked up the compatibility for the H100 and found the list of cases it works with. I'll have to do some more research into this.
You could put the radiator on the outside of your case but because the H100 is an all-in-one cooler, you'd have to take it apart which would void the warranty and there's always the possibility of breaking it in the process. You may want to check this thread out.

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Quote:

PureBlackFire,
Not really. It's about the same reason I'd use Z68 over P67. Boards are mostly the same price so if making a new build, I'd go with the one that has more features. It's You could even use a board that's already out for Ivybridge. The investment in a new case is a good idea. There are many good choices so that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixlight View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachigo View Post

If your going to change your case then you might want to take a look at the Corsair 650D.Real nice and has good cable management
thumb.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139006&Tpk=corsair%20650d
Pretty sure this won't be able to fit a H100, an 800D or something else from another company will though.
Nope. The 650D has enough room to put a H100 in the top. You can only use one set of fans though.

http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showpost.php?p=543540&postcount=10

Also. Try to get your 650D from a place that has newer stock. Newegg is fine. I got one of the earlier stock of 650Ds and the fan controller burnt out on me. Luckily I have a Silver Arrow, so my temps are still sitting at 60-65C on load.

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
The 650D is nice, but it's a bit pricey for what it offers. He doesn't need such an expensive case. There are several mid towers at $100-$130 that will suite him just fine. Phantom 410, Fractal Arc Mini and the Carbide 400/500R to name a few. He's got a good amount of time to think about this, so it's a bit pointless to get to specific right now tbh.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by importflip View Post

Nope. The 650D has enough room to put a H100 in the top. You can only use one set of fans though.
Well then it's a waste of money really, would be better to either get a case that can fit all of them or get a cheaper one.

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixlight View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by importflip View Post

Well then it's a waste of money really, would be better to either get a case that can fit all of them or get a cheaper one.
Push/pull only affects temps for like 1-3C max....

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
For the CPU, HT will make a difference in folding, next to no difference in current games.

For memory, any decent 1600MHz kit will do fine. You will get next to no performance increase with increased speeds.

What graphics cards to you plan on getting later on? When you first fire it up with the 6870, itll be using maybe 350W on full load. An 800W PSU could run 2 7970s with an IB i5. Thats a pretty big difference, but if you don't know what you want to get and want to make sure you can run it, 800W sounds about good, at least on the AMD side. Of course, everyone and their cat will recommend Corsair and Seasonic, but take a look at the Recommended PSU thread. There are certainly cheaper PSUs that are excellent quality as well, some even with the same internals!

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'd look around at getting a different power supply. There is nothing wrong with the Corsair that's been picked out, but you can get an equivalent priced PSU that performs just as good and have a little more watts to play with

or you can get a different brand 850 for cheaper and put that extra money towards something else in your build where you believe the extra money might benefit you.

That's just my .02c
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts