Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Overclock community! I'm waiting for my tax returns as we speak and I originally was wanting to just buy a new graphics card and slap it into my current gaming rig that currently struggle to run a few modern titles such as PUBG and CoD: WWII. However, due to the whole cryptocurrency craze going on right now, that's not going to be possible unless I want to pay more than double for a graphics card (if I can even find one in stock). So, naturally I'm looking for alternatives and one such alternative is buying a prebuilt gaming PC or laptop and I've decided on a laptop because there are moments where portability is nice. My budget is $2,000 but I can go a couple hundred higher than that if need be.

My preferences are as follows:
-17.3" screen, full HD 120hz preferred, I don't need 4k.
-NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070
-SSD no smaller than 256gb
-Windows 10 or 8.1
-Full sized keyboard /w numpad
-Weight & thickness is not a concern of mine, since I'm wanting a desktop replacement/gaming type of laptop the last thing I expect is a thin, lightweight laptop.

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
Hello, Overclock community! I'm waiting for my tax returns as we speak and I originally was wanting to just buy a new graphics card and slap it into my current gaming rig that currently struggle to run a few modern titles such as PUBG and CoD: WWII. However, due to the whole cryptocurrency craze going on right now, that's not going to be possible unless I want to pay more than double for a graphics card (if I can even find one in stock). So, naturally I'm looking for alternatives and one such alternative is buying a prebuilt gaming PC or laptop and I've decided on a laptop because there are moments where portability is nice. My budget is $2,000 but I can go a couple hundred higher than that if need be.

My preferences are as follows:
-17.3" screen, full HD 120hz preferred, I don't need 4k.
-NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070
-SSD no smaller than 256gb
-Windows 10 or 8.1
-Full sized keyboard /w numpad
-Weight & thickness is not a concern of mine, since I'm wanting a desktop replacement/gaming type of laptop the last thing I expect is a thin, lightweight laptop.
Well fun fact, you can just order a GPU from B&H and wait for the back order to be filled. You can get a normally priced GPU that way.

I personally think it is a pretty poor idea to use a gaming laptop for college. Depending on your major, you REALLY need something thin and light to take to class.

Even if you buy a gaming PC off craigslist and get a thin and light laptop for school, you would still be better off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts