Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys wassup. I ordered a new laptop and am expecting it to arrive on Tuesday. Its the HP DV6t quad edition and I picked it up cause of those insane deals that they had.
Specs:
Core i7 720qm processor
4 gigs of DDR3 ram
Nvidia GT230m graphics card
320 gig 7200rpm hdd
blu-ray drive(free of course)
12 cell battery (yea I know it sticks out a little but I need the extra time)
Windows 7 premium 64-bit
and the other basics
A couple a things, one, you guys think it will be possible to overclock the cpu and gpu at all?
And second, what would be the best way to send sound from my laptop to the sound system? Like should I let the hdmi cable send the sound straight to the TV then from the TV use a digital optical cable to the sound system? Or should I just send a 3.5mm cable straight from the laptop to the sound system?

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM
View Post

I wouldn't OC anything on a Laptop.

I've been running this Turion X2 @ 2.64GHz for a year and it has been fine. Also the gpu is at a 63% overclock for double the FPS

But I don't think the Intel will overclock. The nforce chipset in my laptop is what allowed me to overclock.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM
View Post

I wouldn't OC anything on a Laptop.

That is such a common misconseption. Overclocking on a laptop is just as safe as a desktop if you are smart and careful going about it. I ran my old 8600m GT from 450Mhz at 715Mhz 24/7 for a year with no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117
View Post

I've been running this Turion X2 @ 2.64GHz for a year and it has been fine. Also the gpu is at a 63% overclock for double the FPS

But I don't think the Intel will overclock. The nforce chipset in my laptop is what allowed me to overclock.

yeah, that dual core outputs no where near the heat and power his i7 does man, i would completely warrant against trying to overclock the 720qm as that thing is running hot already as is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vostro
View Post

That is such a common misconseption. Overclocking on a laptop is just as safe as a desktop if you are smart and careful going about it. I ran my old 8600m GT from 450Mhz at 715Mhz 24/7 for a year with no problems at all.

well overclocking really is safe "if" you understand what you are doing. Just thinking about overclocking a mobile i7 which already has sub par cooling should not be advised. Remember that the q9000 mobile cpu uses 45w and people complain about the heat on that, now beef it up and add multi threading,
a nightmare waiting to happen.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yea, but i would never do it.

1. Heat is already bad as it is.
2. Don't want to destroy it over a silly OC.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It is a miracle that 8600m GT didn't die since they are prone to failure... I would know, mine was at stock clocks and died after having it for just over a year.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I gotcha guys. Thanks for the advice. So I will definitely pass on trying to overclock anything

+rep guys
But does anyone have an answer to my other question.
By the way, thanks for the fast as hell replies

Edit: Oh and it was 923 I believe. There was a better coupon out that died out quickly (everyone used it instantly) that dropped the price to like 800 on black friday but that was after I had ordered.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlord369
View Post

Alright I gotcha guys. Thanks for the advice. So I will definitely pass on trying to overclock anything

+rep guys
But does anyone have an answer to my other question.
By the way, thanks for the fast as hell replies

i would just use a 3.5mm to the sound system, the first way is complicated, and this way you really can't go wrong.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
3.5mm cable straight from the laptop to the sound system
This ^

Sometimes HDMI can cause not full sound quality, plus the fact of it running from Tv to the sounds system is just MEH.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright cool, again thanks for your help and +rep for this info too.
So I'll just stick with the 3.5mm.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
No problem.

Just don't forget to much heat kills a laptop over time, i think i have one of those laptop coolers i don't use anymore.
leme see.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lokster View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stick with HDMI, sound and video in one cable!

In the end he still have to run optical (from the tv) to the sound system.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by D3TH.GRUNT View Post
i would just use a 3.5mm to the sound system, the first way is complicated, and this way you really can't go wrong.
bleh, death to analog... you're just asking for a nice low frequency hum...

get a real receiver that has HDMI in...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The mobiles Core i7 processors have a built in turbo mode which disables two of the cores while raising the clock speeds of the two enabled cores. I believe the 720 you bought goes from a 1.6ghz quad to an effective 2.8ghz dual core when necessary.

You should be able to overclock the graphics card, but you may not gain very much.

Can your laptop do audio over HDMI? Optical SPDIF would probably be a good second choice if your laptop supports it and you've got an SPDIF capable receiver.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys would something like this work?
http://www.eworldsale.com/startechco...626_31167.html
or an adapter like this
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...SFCMT9901.html
Like would they be able to send a digital signal?

EDIT: Man I'm really getting excited about this laptop.
I got another idea when I was looking around the web.
You guys think it would be possible to upgrade the graphics card? Like open it and swap it out with one I buy on ebay? I was on notebookcheck.net and there was this tutorial on swapping out a laptop gpu. So I was thinking if the dv6t quad has a mxm slot, would I be able to swap it out for something more powerful? (Bought on ebay)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts