Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up an Acer 18.5" widescreen for my Dad.

Problem is, the side of the 'display' on the right is chopped off about a mm or so.

Desktop, browser, doesn't matter. When you're in the browser, only half of the scroll bar width is showing and only half the 'X' box in the top corner as well.

I've done everything from drivers to actually adjusting the horizontal in the monitor settings itself. When I move the screen left, it's still cut off with a black gap.

Only on the right side and in every app and desktop. rebooted, adjusted res.... nothing seems to fix it.... any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's at my dad's house, so I dont have a pic. the best way to describe it is, your scroll bar on the right side of the screen..... it's only half the width, so it's real hard to hit with the mouse cursor.

If I have to, I'll return it, but it just seems like i'm missing something, rather than a defective monitor. I may be wrong, though.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
You set the right resolution and aspect ratio?

• Rep+
Reactions: KOBALT

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Look in your monitor settings and you can adjust the overscan/underscan as well as moving the picture. It sounds like you'll have to move the picture to the left and possibly adjust for overscan. This isn't abnormal, but I haven't seen it since my CRT monitor days.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
have you tried swapping the cable out?

also, are you using vga or dvi? if vga, dvi may solve the problem. if dvi, then idk.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

Look in your monitor settings and you can adjust the overscan/underscan as well as moving the picture. It sounds like you'll have to move the picture to the left and possibly adjust for overscan. This isn't abnormal, but I haven't seen it since my CRT monitor days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth
View Post

You set the right resolution and aspect ratio?

OP. done all of that. tried every setting in the monitor's menu(s).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZHoob2004
View Post

have you tried swapping the cable out?

also, are you using vga or dvi? if vga, dvi may solve the problem. if dvi, then idk.

I just used the VGA cable that was already running with the previous monitor... i'll have to try that, sir

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KOBALT
View Post

Please read OP. done all of that.

If you moved the screen to the left and the margin is still present, your monitor is overscanning. I haven't played around with LCD settings much, but you should see some type of adjustment for over/underscan.

• Rep+
Reactions: KOBALT

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

View Post

If you moved the screen to the left and the margin is still present, your monitor is overscanning. I haven't played around with LCD settings much, but you should see some type of adjustment for over/underscan.

exactly, bud. i moved the screen to the left and it's still cut off. i tinkered around in the monitor's menu a few times and didn't see anything like that. maybe it's just not fancy enough. i'll have to check again....

so do you think it's a defective monitor? or just settings related? what if i cant adjust anything within the monitor itself? appreciate the reply

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KOBALT
View Post

so do you think it's a defective monitor? or just settings related?

Settings related for sure. If you pick up any calibration disc, they walk you through adjusting for over/underscan. On crt monitors I've had to do it, but I haven't had to with any LCD or Plasma yet. When I get home, I'll look through my menus and see what I can find. I'm at work for another 9 hrs

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

View Post

Settings related for sure. If you pick up any calibration disc, they walk you through adjusting for over/underscan. On crt monitors I've had to do it, but I haven't had to with any LCD or Plasma yet. When I get home, I'll look through my menus and see what I can find. I'm at work for another 9 hrs

hey, i appreciate any time you take to help me. very much so. thanks a lot, sir. the monitor is at my father's house, so i wont have access to it until monday at the earliest because of the holiday. appreciate it

in the mean time, i'll see if i can dig up anything in the online manual for the monitor related to the over/under scanning. thx, bud

·
Premium Member
7,949 Posts
There should be a button on the monitor to auto adjust the display. Hit that and it should work.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

There should be a button on the monitor to auto adjust the display. Hit that and it should work.

tried that.. nothing... same results.

ALSO, after downloading the manual PDF file, it shows screenshots of the monitor's menu options..... in the display settings, under the horizontal and vertical, there's a Clock setting..... i know it has nothing to do with a clock... could that be something? its set by default in the middle at 50. the troubleshooting section says if i have an 'abnormal' picture, to mess with that along with the H/V alignment.... which i already did... but not the 'clock'.. Thoughts?

BTW.... no options for over/underscanning in the owner's manual(PDF).
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFi...C=Acer&SC=PA_7

1 - 14 of 14 Posts