Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be purely for gaming purposes. Prices are in CAD!

I know dropping the SSD and upgrading the video card and processor is a possibility...but I've thought about it and I really want one of these.

Also - the Radeon 5830 is priced nicely where it is in Canada. The cheapest 5850 is $329.99 and a 5770 is $159.99. For $249, I believe it is worth the investment. I plan on overclocking the hell out of it.
LL

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
The i3 really isn't a gaming processor tbh.

What games are you thinking of playing?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dual Core processors keep up to quad core processors in terms of gaming performance (Yes, Phenom II X2 555 keeps up with i7's). I would at least drop the SSD to roughly 32-40GB and buy a 1tb HDD for storage, then with the saved cash go ahead and upgrade either the video card or processor.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

The i3 really isn't a gaming processor tbh.

What games are you thinking of playing?

Next-gen shooters (Crysis 2 particularly) and SC2.

Quote:

Although I disagree about the 5830, I believe its not worth the money, I would still look to a quad.

Oh I got my 5850 from Direct Canada for $310 the other day but they are sold out now.

Yea I know...I hate to undercut the video card. I promised myself on my next build I'd get a good SSD. And that Vertex LE is looking extremely hot right now.

Is a 5770 good enough?

Edit: Yes I believe an OC'd Core i3 should be ok for gaming right? As for the SSD I don't need storage. This is for gaming only.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Ok, first of all what????

Drop that 5830 and get a 5850
its worth it and the price difference is so small.

That SSD are you kidding me? Get a cheaper drive that drive is too expensive and not worth in a few months it will be outdated.
Buy an actual hard drive. 100gb is so small.

Get an i5 or an i7 the i3 is terrible. So is that board.
Go with a P55 chipset.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What resolution do you plan on playing on?

And I still suggest you go with a 32 GB SSD to save money and buy a HDD for storage. That will cut costs by a hefty amount to be able to upgrade to a 5850. And again as I said, in terms of gaming, no game has really been able to use up three or more cores on a processor, so a dual core will suit you nicely, especially if you overclock it.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Personally, i'd go with an i5. Just my 2c

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trikitty
View Post

What resolution do you plan on playing on?

And I still suggest you go with a 32 GB SSD to save money and buy a HDD for storage. That will cut costs by a hefty amount to be able to upgrade to a 5850. And again as I said, in terms of gaming, no game has really been able to use up three or more cores on a processor, so a dual core will suit you nicely, especially if you overclock it.

I'll be playing at 1080p.

Hmm - at first I thought of just a boot drive. But I want games to load fast too.

This build will be purely for speed.

The SSD is obnoxiously expensive - I agree. I did a ton of research on it. Read a few articles on Anandtech. He seems to like it.

But yea...a build for just $1100... dedicating $450 to the drive only seems like a bad idea.

But I want it damnit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's fast, but you'd really only be able to have a couple of games on there at a time, and it won't really help the performance on the games at all. It's mostly used as a boot drive and the rest for everyday and common applications. 32 GB will suit you nicely in this scenario.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Performance wise with running it with a crappy i3 is pointless,

Get one later. Get an i5 now with a 5850.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Show me a benchmark in gaming where the i3 DOESN'T keep up in games at similar clock rates.

Gaming performance, quad cores are irrelevant, and so an i3 will be JUST as good as an i5 or even i7.

Edit: Ever wonder why the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and the such can keep up with Phenom II Quads? Yeah, sup.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trikitty
View Post

It's fast, but you'd really only be able to have a couple of games on there at a time, and it won't really help the performance on the games at all. It's mostly used as a boot drive and the rest for everyday and common applications. 32 GB will suit you nicely in this scenario.

Yea you're right...only games like MMOs and open-world RPGs would benefit from the SSD in terms of speed.

There aren't any more Vertex 2-series drives...back to the drawing board.

Quote:

Performance wise with running it with a crappy i3 is pointless,

Get one later. Get an i5 now with a 5850.

I see nothing wrong with an i3 for gaming. Seriously. Why should I upgrade to an i5? If anything, the video card is in need of upgrading.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perhaps an Intel X-25 will suffice then.

Now video card - 5770 ($160), 5830 ($250) or 5850($340)?

Don't want too much power - this isn't exactly a high-end computer.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Get a 5770, its more than enough to handle most games (I run BFBC2 on all high settings and its playable, lower them a little and its smooth as can be) and has the best scalability (esp per $) around when you crossfire it. And a 5830 is closer in performance to a 5770 than a 5850, and its priced TERRIBLY.

As for processor, I'd do an i5 personally.

But most importantly, THE PSU! I can't believe nobody has mentioned it! The PSU is the MOST important part of your system. If that is trash you risk killing your entire rig. Thermaltake is garbage. Spend extra $ for a Corsair 650 or 750.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike431635
View Post

Get a 5770, its more than enough to handle most games (I run BFBC2 on all high settings and its playable, lower them a little and its smooth as can be) and has the best scalability (esp per $) around when you crossfire it. And a 5830 is closer in performance to a 5770 than a 5850, and its priced TERRIBLY.

As for processor, I'd do an i5 personally.

But most importantly, THE PSU! I can't believe nobody has mentioned it! The PSU is the MOST important part of your system. If that is trash you risk killing your entire rig. Thermaltake is garbage. Spend extra $ for a Corsair 650 or 750.

True, I didn't look into the PSU very much since it's a combo deal. The deal is very promising - roughly 20% off most of the build.

Guess I'll check newegg reviewers for now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts