Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my 6950 yesterday, received it today and when I opened the box up, there was a completely different looking card than what is pictured on distribution sites, even TigerDirect and NewEgg. I ordered it off of Amazon using Prime next day, if that's anything:

Amazon.com: VisionTek AMD Radeon HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5 PCI Graphics Card 900352: Electronics Amazon.com: VisionTek AMD Radeon HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5 PCI Graphics Card 900352: Electronics

Was hoping for the more "plainer" looking card but this isn't too bad. At least it's not covered in unnecessary artwork like some are.
The heat sink is quite large and the copper tubing is very hefty. Haven't seen if the new fans make a difference yet. The box looks the same as what's shown, and it's still the same specs as far as I'm aware.

Runs great on BC2, haven't tested anything else with it yet. Gonna run 3DMark 11 here shortly.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Look like a non-ref card without the bios switch. U won't be able to unlock it

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
more than likely rev 1.1 pcb

i prefer that style heatsink though, much less loud.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
before you guys start raging about unlocking consider this:

you paid for a 6950. anything after that is a bonus, not a feature

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reflex99
View Post

before you guys start raging about unlocking consider this:

you paid for a 6950. anything after that is a bonus, not a feature

Yea but look at the picture. It's a completely different product. When you purchase something, you should know what you're getting. Unlocking aside, I would be mad if I thought I was ordering a reference card and got something else.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I have never raged about unlocking
, was just pointing it out in case the OP didn't know. I think it's a good card, it'd definitely be quieter than my ref visiontek.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamin3;13145736
Yea but look at the picture. It's a completely different product. When you purchase something, you should know what you're getting. Unlocking aside, I would be mad if I thought I was ordering a reference card and got something else.
This. Especially if I bought blocks for it, it isn't a matter of unlocking but rather the picture isn't what you received. Now if you ordered a gtx 570 and you got a 580 then its'kay.
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
need better pic of the back of the pcb

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
The dual fan and middle fan cards... I'm pretty sure are the revised cards that share the 6870 pcb. Don't sue me bro. You lose somethings obviously, but you gain vrm control, and an improved vrm design. It's got pluses and minuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lareson;13145994
So the whole back of it?
Yea.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lareson;13145994
So the whole back of it?
yes,

I have a hunch that it is completely custom PCB, because it says v1.0 above the pcie slot, and it is certainly not a v1.0 AMD board.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex99;13146012
yes,

I have a hunch that it is completely custom PCB, because it says v1.0 above the pcie slot, and it is certainly not a v1.0 AMD board.
I highly doubt its a custom. It's most likely the revised board, crap I feel like a broken record, revised card AMD released back in Dec. It takes time to hit the channel ya know...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If i ordered a reference card and they sent out a non reference id be calling them up for a refund or a replacement that is reference .

I wouldnt accept that .

reference are much better cards , non reference are cheap and lack features .. id only buy one if i was on a budget.

thats my opinion anyway , if you like it .. keep it .

would still probably perform the same as a reference model , though im not sure with the new pcb .. the old pcb is longer .

1 - 20 of 79 Posts