Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!

so i got a new loop for chrismas on my benching rig, and my cpu temps are too hot :/

loop order is ddc/res combo, 360 rad, gpu, cpu and back again.

gpu temps are fine, idling about 28/29 and load doesnt break 50. cpu however idles at about 30 which is fine, but hits 75c at stock (1.25v)

before going watercooling i was using an nh-d14, hitting 80c max after an hour of prime95 4.8ghz 1.392v. cpu is delidded and i have tried repasting, temps are the same.

any ideas?

im just hoping its a case of an air bubble that will work itself out.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
were you using same version of prime for both, and which version? but if worse temps then yeah air bubble or tim didnt get spread well, etc. which water block?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

were you using same version of prime for both, and which version? but if worse temps then yeah air bubble or tim didnt get spread well, etc. which water block?
yeah ver 28.5 on both, small ffts. using heatkiller cpu rev.3 block, the copper version.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Might wanna get a thermostat or temp. probe. to check water temp. I'm not sure how high your pump/tubes are rated but most water cooling is rated at 50/60c max temp. Will it be harder to do reroute, CPU then GPU? Since GPU tends to get hotter faster?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtikphox View Post

Might wanna get a thermostat or temp. probe. to check water temp. I'm not sure how high your pump/tubes are rated but most water cooling is rated at 50/60c max temp. Will it be harder to do reroute, CPU then GPU? Since GPU tends to get hotter faster?
if the water temps were that high, the gpu would idle much higher. if its idling at 28c then we can assume 25c water temps roughly. also, gpu may get hotter faster but that will never affect the cpu +/- a few degrees because its a closed system and the temps will equalise. it cant be an issue of the water flowing over the cpu being too hot, particularly when its the only thing running in the loop.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

What kind of TIM and how are you applying it?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneymanMike View Post

What kind of TIM and how are you applying it?
arctic ceramique, dot in the centre and tighten a few turns at a time on each corner to try get ever spread. ie top left x3 turns, bottom right x3 turns, bottom left x3 turns, top right x3 turns and so on until the block is completely on.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
How are your x264 temps?

at 1.20-1.25v you can hit 100c with the best air coolers/clc's on some tests (linpack 250gflops). If you're only getting 75 on prime v28.5 small fft that doesn't sound bad to me - but hard to tell, because those temps are rarely used to judge OC around here

·
Registered
886 Posts
First things first and I'm sure you did it but did you remove any kind of protective film that could have been on the CPU waterblock. Next have you shook the case and tilted it at every angle to make sure you do not have any air bubbles/pockets in the CPU block. Those are the only things I could think that could be causing this issue unless there is something wrong with the block. If you opened it up and it has a jetplate did you put it back in correctly?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc122 View Post

arctic ceramique, dot in the centre and tighten a few turns at a time on each corner to try get ever spread. ie top left x3 turns, bottom right x3 turns, bottom left x3 turns, top right x3 turns and so on until the block is completely on.
That's just fine! But WTH try reapplying it, before you do that take notice of the TIM coverage...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts