Overclock.net banner

New machine, hard drive swap

672 Views 24 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  mushroomboy
I do not know where to put this, hard drive or OS section but here we are...

I have a 10 year old Dell pc that has a failed motherboard. It turns out that it would be better to build a one rather than buy a replacement motherboard.

My dilemma - I want to either move the hard drive over to the newly built computer (or if possible copy the hard drive on to a new one). I have Windows XP on this machine and I would like to know if this would work (work meaning, will Windows XP run on the new machine)

Thanks!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you!

The reason I really did not want to do a fresh install was for a very expensive program is setup on it (controls our compressor system for a R&D facility). I have a back up of the settings, but it still makes me nervous to reinstall. The computer only runs this one program lol.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by _02
View Post

If it is a critical piece of equipment, obviously make sure you have the capacity to reinstall it before you upgrade - that or the ability to fall back to your old system in the event that the upgrade does break things.

I have a back up pc in the area that is running the critical equipment. The problem is that its the same age with the same mileage. I have time, but not much.

I am going to go forward with the build. Worst case scenario: I have to get the programmer back for $2K. Best case scenario: I get the pc to work without the programmer and only spend $3-400 for the pc.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains
View Post

Seeing as you are replacing a dell PC it is safe to say the licence is OEM therefore nontransferable to a new PC anyway, you need to purchase a new licence

Good point 'doh'!

LOL - I will see what I can do to get the settings from the backup

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I understand that a fresh install is a good idea. The purpose of this computer is very direct. There is no internet connection, no installing of additional software.

This is a pc only for controlling air compressors. the specs set in the program is very specific; yes i know that is what back ups are for, but if something went awry for any reason...well the equipment they run are compressors that you will not find...anywhere (a couple 5000 HP compressors running at 12KV each).

If it does not work, I will not stress to much, I will call the programmer in to reset the system.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'd wouldn't mind some help making a build if you guys want...

it requires:

single core processor
windows xp pro
minimal graphics
case
ram
power supply
cd rom
floppy

no monitor
no mouse
no keyboard

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
would love the netbook idea, but not feasible. imagine you are in a control room, there are 4 big screens...and then a tiny netbook while 5 200-350 lb men looking at that tiny screen?

lol wouldn't work right, even with a large monitor doubling the desktop. this is an industrial setting and those guys will break the tiny thing.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i will look into some prebuilt, although it is more fun to build one

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
those machines look great but they are dual core processors, i need single core; thanks though!

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
the software has a LOT of problems with a dual core processor, why? i do not know, but that has been attempted already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.