Overclock.net banner

New machine, hard drive swap

676 Views 24 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  mushroomboy
I do not know where to put this, hard drive or OS section but here we are...

I have a 10 year old Dell pc that has a failed motherboard. It turns out that it would be better to build a one rather than buy a replacement motherboard.

My dilemma - I want to either move the hard drive over to the newly built computer (or if possible copy the hard drive on to a new one). I have Windows XP on this machine and I would like to know if this would work (work meaning, will Windows XP run on the new machine)

Thanks!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianEx;14190352
Although, you might get lucky and it boot's up, but will most likely not be stable. Then you could salvage it with a repair install, again, if you're lucky.
If it boots up there won't be any issues. I don't know how it could possibly become "unstable". Anyways....

Backup the data like the rest suggest, though try just slapping the drive in without installing. The worst you'll get is a BSOD and you might have to then try safe mode. After that the next worse case is a fresh install, really there shouldn't be any big deal or crazy warnings about this.

· Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joephis19
View Post

There's lots of reasons for it to be unstable.

Imagine that you have a Honda Civic and the transmission goes out.....you can't expect to grab a Toyota Camry transmission, slap it in and expect it to work just fine.

2 Main problems, in my ecperience, are:

Windows authentication
Drivers

First off that isn't comparable. Transmissions aren't really car specific, they are motor specific. Unless your doing a manual car, which is another set of complications. With an automatic transmission it has to mount directly to the engine, so it has to have the exact specs for the engine. Software does that too, I'll explain. [edit] You CAN do some mods to make stuff work, though that would still disprove your idea being flawed. I'm not getting into any of that because your example works only for a limited set of examples. You should have used an example that will work no matter what model/make of the car you use.

Ok, now outside of the car crap. The only problem you will see is drivers, which are hardware specific and will rely on the hardware ID. A driver will not load for hardware that doesn't follow this, it will BSOD or refuse to load and give a windows driver error #. If the main hardware components load the OS will run just fine, THOUGH you might have secondary driver issues or proprietary driver issues. You can re-install the drivers manually, which you would be told to do even on a clean installation.

That is all there is too it. If your afraid of the OEM license, you can just call MS and talk to them about options. That is all I will say about that.

· Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Yeah, don't take my posts as meaning you shouldn't re-install. I always like to do a fresh install, keeps things organized. It also allows you to re-set up the system, giving you a fresh start on organizing.

· Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HaiLKroniK
View Post

those machines look great but they are dual core processors, i need single core; thanks though!

Why do you require a sinigle core? I'm sure you could build a small atom board that is single core. They sell the cases/motherboard/atom cpu's all separate and it would probably be much cheaper.

· Premium Member
6,788 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.