Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am like many anxiously attempting to acquire a R5 5600x, however I went ahead and ordered a MB while I could and it should be arriving today or this week. I got burned on this with the initial ryzen release with the 1700x (got the chip, but boards were sold out). I was wondering if I would have any issues setting up my new board, and configuring windows and my applications with the 1700x. I wouldn't think a CPU change after my storage is configured, and windows installed would break anything, but I have been out of the game for quite some time.

Is there any gottcha's that I would be worried about?

FYI board is: ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS

Thanks!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
It says that a 5000 series CPU might not work in that board without a BIOS update and in that case you will need a 3000 series CPU to flash the BIOS before you can use a 5000 series CPU

It might work without a BIOS update but if it does not you know why

·
Riding on the edge
3,253 Posts
Greetings, I am like many anxiously attempting to acquire a R5 5600x, however I went ahead and ordered a MB while I could and it should be arriving today or this week. I got burned on this with the initial ryzen release with the 1700x (got the chip, but boards were sold out). I was wondering if I would have any issues setting up my new board, and configuring windows and my applications with the 1700x. I wouldn't think a CPU change after my storage is configured, and windows installed would break anything, but I have been out of the game for quite some time.

Is there any gottcha's that I would be worried about?

FYI board is: ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS

Thanks!
B550 does NOT support gen 1 or gen+ you can verify on the Asus QVL. You won't be able to setup windows with that chip.
As far as Bios updating goes that's a piece of cake as the mobo does have "Bios Flashback" so you can update Bios without CPU etc.
You'll be fine if you can stand the wait :)

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,036 Posts
I have that board with a ZEN+ and the latest bios and it works just fine. So it might work with the 1700x.

·
Linux Lobbyist
329 Posts
@shilka ka @dave12

This board can have the BIOS updated without a CPU present using a specifically formated and named BIOS on a USB stick, with the special button pressed on the back.

44 out of ~65 B550 board currently out on the market have the same Bios Flashback button (only Asrock is missing them, aside from B550 Taichi, and some of the really cheap boards don't have it, otherwise everything >$70 MSI/Gigabyte and >$120 Asus has it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts