Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The system specs are in my signature.

I want to update my CPU to an i7-8700K and use the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING LGA1151 motherboard. Do I need new memory to go with the new MB or will my old memory do the trick? Will it's slow speed affect my performance? The system is for gaming on an Asus Predator x34.

Thank you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
With the price of ram these days..... Not worth it

You will loose up to 15% in gaming performance. Definitely not worth $400 unless you can get a decent price for your current sticks. At your resolution, you will be gpu bound

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the reply.

I got my tax return and wanted to do an upgrade that will last me at least three years, thus thinking about buying the CPU / MB and memory. I believe that with two 1080s I'm not lacking in the GPU department. Going by what you said, it may be a money burning in my pocket problem...

·
Registered
517 Posts
in current games upgrading the memory will probably make a bigger difference than upgrading the cpu
personally i don't think ether are worth it
see if your current ram has any overclocking headroom even 2666 would be a nice improvement

what are you doing that you feel needs more performance?
at 3440x1440 you are probably still gpu limited in most games even with two 1080
drop the res right down and disable aa if fps improve to a acceptable level you know its the gpu and not the cpu

·
Registered
272 Posts
in current games upgrading the memory will probably make a bigger difference than upgrading the cpu
personally i don't think ether are worth it
see if your current ram has any overclocking headroom even 2666 would be a nice improvement

what are you doing that you feel needs more performance?
at 3440x1440 you are probably still gpu limited in most games even with two 1080
drop the res right down and disable aa if fps improve to a acceptable level you know its the gpu and not the cpu
I agree with trying to overclock your current ram. Considering that you already have DDR4, and the high prices on it. Probably not worth buying new stuff at the moment, unless there's a good sale somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to see what I can push the memory to.

Thank you for all the great advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts