Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just purchased the system I was going to get before i decided to keep my P4 chip. Specs to follow..

The problem is that if he goes and plays a game or runs a 3d bench mark at all his computer just turns off..

Specs include

AMD 64 mobile 62watt 3400+
DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb
Ultra X-Connect 500w PSU
Geforce4 TI4600 128mb
DDR400 memory
Thermaltake Tower 112 (4lb copper) heatsink (could this be a problem? if it wasnt on quite right?)

We havent overclocked this at all (currently) we tried once and it was fine was running counter strike online for about 12 hrs lol.. then he got it home and tried to play a different game and it crashed.. ( i think it was the Sims 2 or something) by crashed i mean that after a few min (about 5) in the game it just turns off. It was fine the entire time he was at my house for my lan party then after he gets it home it starts crashing we litterally played Counter Stirke and Counter Stirke : Source for about 12hrs. When he first put the mobo and cpu in his machine he was useing his OLD PSU it was doing the exact samething then.. i figured it was beacuse it was only a 350watt and didnt have enough power. Another odd thing i tested that PSO (the 350w) and it seems to be completely dead now wont power on at all.. dont know if this is realated.

I think he tried 1 or 2 differant bios (both were flashed from windows i belive if that matters). The 2nd time was with a BIOS that was said to be for the DTR mobile 64 chips (this chip as far as I understand is not a mobile but a "true mobile" the 62watt version) when he flashed this bios it said something about not being able to update the DMI block i think.

The only think i can think of is that the CPU heatsink moved when he took it in his car from my house to his ( the matter in which this heatsink is attatched to the mobo (per the instructions) doesnt seem stable enough to me like it could slide up and down the length of the mobo). could that have something to do with it?

Does he need a special BIOS to run that chip in that board? I cant imagine the PSU could be the problem seeing as he has the same as I and it powers my P4 3.4ghz just fine.

I am at a complete loss here and I feel horrible beacuse he went and bought these part at my advice (which was do to all of the help I got here
Thank you all!) And the #%$2 think wont work lol.

His temp are below 40 at Idle, another weird thing is that with every bios we have put in it autodecteded the CPU at 800mhz or so...

Could it be a voltage problem? what should this chip be running at?

Thanks for your help Sorry this is so long just wanted to get all the information i have in there. I'll add more if needed as we attempt to further troubleshoot.

Thanks

-Snow (and his friend )

*UPDATE* he just put i a new BIOS and now windows is listing this....

"Mobile AMD Athlon(tm)64
Processor 3400+
803mhz 512mb of Ram
Physical Address Extension"

When you right click my computer and hit properties. the 3400+ definetly isnt 800mhz lol

looks like this..

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
i'm glad you got your question answered man. I would feel the same if i recommended a system to my friend at all these problems started to happen. well done yiffy and Evil. That's one of the most exact and to the point answers i've seen on this site.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is Snow's friend with the problem. I just updated the Bios to the 9/14/04 set and when I set Volt to 1.4 and multi to 11 I get the system beep then it just turns off. (like it was before) Its really starting to drive me crazy no games for the last week im going mad lol. Maybe a setting in Bios im missing possibly?

Thanx for all the advice so far but if ya have anymore keep on spillin it

Atticus

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
is it running in cool and quiet mode????

ive heard of mobile procks adjusting themselves to use less power so they lower there multiplier internally.....

ask yiffygriffy he should know plus he has the same setup....

i think setite had this problem before as well...

i would recomend running some cpu intensive applications and see if it seems like a 800mhz cpu

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus5783

This is Snow's friend with the problem. I just updated the Bios to the 9/14/04 set and when I set Volt to 1.4 and multi to 11 I get the system beep then it just turns off. (like it was before) Its really starting to drive me crazy no games for the last week im going mad lol. Maybe a setting in Bios im missing possibly?

Atticus

Make sure you reset your cmos after flashing.

·
Registered
386 Posts
your powersupply aint good enough, get something better

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HaYChE

your powersupply aint good enough, get something better

He has an X connect 500Watt. How is that not enough??? Last time I checked they're highly recommended, and I the same power with basically the same setup.

Setite was having the same problem with the PSU, but he had a piece of crap POWMAX, oh and If I remember correctly he switched it for an X connect to solve the problem

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus5783

Atticus

Download THIS BIOS. They're the Oskar WU bios. They're the same as the 9/14 version but are modified to fix alot of known problems with the mobiles and other issues.

They were recommended to me by THE GENERAL when I was having a problem with my SATA lock, they fixed that problem and allowed me to get a higher overclock. Deadlock is also using those bios with his DTR3200/DFI combo, and he is very please with them, he was having problems getting the correct temp readings and once again, those bios fixed the problem.

Give them a try, if it doesnt fix your problem then you can always go back to whatever you were using. But I'm almost positive they'll help you out because this bios were made especifically to fix a number of known problems with the mobile CPU's in the DFI LANPARTY UT 250GB motherboard.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all of you for the help Im hopefully going to get him up to my house tonight so I can help him trouble shoot all of this. I'll be sure to try everything you suggested.

One thing i think i mentioned above... he mentioned some kind of a block listed as not being updated when updated bios (which was done in windows). Will it matter if he updates it in windows or the old way? I simply dont have any expreiance updateing from windows so I dont know..

Also this is a 62w mobile not a DTR... from what I understand there is a differance. Is there a different bios needed for this mobile instead of the DTR?

Again thanks for all the help!!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Updating from Windows is easy, just go to options and select update all BIOS, then flash it TWICE without rebooting, then reboot, shut it down, clear CMOS, then fire it back up again. Those are the instructions from DFI associates. The only difference between the DTRs and Mobiles (aside from different identification bits) is the default core voltage. DTRs use 1.5volts, Mobiles use 1.4 volts. Same core, same architecture, same BIOS. There have been reports of some ClawHammers (Mobiles are ClawHammers) not working properly with the DFI board, and that could also be your problem.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hey guys

I'm about the buy the same setup, and this is the processor I'm buying. The A64 3400+ DTR chip. I couldn't find a "62 watt 3400+ mobile" chip so I assume this is the same thing. I am just debating the price difference between the XP-M 2600+ Barton or the A64 ClawHammer.

I'll let you guys know if I have any problems by January 5th ;-p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoSoVaR

Hey guys

I'm about the buy the same setup, and this is the processor I'm buying. The A64 3400+ DTR chip. I couldn't find a "62 watt 3400+ mobile" chip so I assume this is the same thing. I am just debating the price difference between the XP-M 2600+ Barton or the A64 ClawHammer.

Well i dont think those to chips can ever compare from what i have read the 64's are far more powerfull on top of that you are looking at 64bit chip not a 32bit i would think it might be like compareing apples and oranges. Computing will turn to 64bit at some point and you will have to upgrade its just a question of when... If it were me I would go with the 64 my friend got his Lanparty Mobo for just over 100 bucks I have seen NFII boards go for more than that.

Quote:

Updating from Windows is easy, just go to options and select update all BIOS, then flash it TWICE without rebooting, then reboot, shut it down, clear CMOS, then fire it back up again. Those are the instructions from DFI associates. The only difference between the DTRs and Mobiles (aside from different identification bits) is the default core voltage. DTRs use 1.5volts, Mobiles use 1.4 volts. Same core, same architecture, same BIOS. There have been reports of some ClawHammers (Mobiles are ClawHammers) not working properly with the DFI board, and that could also be your problem.

Yiffy thanks again for your detailed explaniation for us not quite as computer savvy as you types... just to clarify I ment would flashing via windows potentialy cause any problems that would not happen doing it the old why I cant imagine there would be and since you didnt mention it I think there is not.. but thank you for explaining the how anyway

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoSoVaR

Hey guys

The A64 are far superior when you compare them to the XP's. Onchip memory controller, lower voltage operation, 1MB L2 on the Clawhammers and FX's. Because of all of this they're faster even when you compare them to an XP of the same or higher clockspeed.

Here's your 62watt mobile

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-477&depa=0

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I talk to my Atticus and he tried updateing the bios.. it didnt help.. do you think it could be bad memory or the video card? I mean they were working fine but i dont know what else it could be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

It's hard to say...it could even be a bad motherboard.

That was originaly one of my first thoughts as well but I didnt think it was very likely beacuse it worked just fine for 12 hrs playing CS:Source lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.