·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys how are you?

I have a doubt and need some help

i just bought a MB GA-Z87X-OC Force, it`s working nice

But when i enable my 2 way SLI in something weird happen

when i concet the cable, in my cade a DP one because i use 1440p here in the top card it shows that the monitor is connectd in the VGA number 2 and not the number 1, and when i connect the cable in the botton card it shows that is the VGA one, it is wrong right? Or normal in some cases?

Take a look, this example is when i have the cable and SLI enabled in the botton card

abw7.png

Should this config be correct in the top card instead the botton one?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I don't understand the issue. As Bro already stated, the photo shows your monitor connected to DisplayPort on Card #1. For all intents, it really doesn't matter which of the two GTX cards you hook your monitor to -- the performance and SLI functionality will be the same.

Edit: I read the OP message over and over a few more times, LOL. Are you saying that if you plug the DP cable into the second card, that it then shows as Card #1 in the driver? That's normal. GTX cards with NO Monitor plugged into them will always defer to another GTX card in the system that DOES have a monitor plugged in as the primary card. The PCI slot it's plugged into doesn't matter, if the bottom card has a monitor plugged in and the top card doesn't -- the bottom is the primary. If you move the monitor to the top card, then the top is the primary.

Greg

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

I don't understand the issue. As Bro already stated, the photo shows your monitor connected to DisplayPort on Card #1. For all intents, it really doesn't matter which of the two GTX cards you hook your monitor to -- the performance and SLI functionality will be the same.

Edit: I read the OP message over and over a few more times, LOL. Are you saying that if you plug the DP cable into the second card, that it then shows as Card #1 in the driver? That's normal. GTX cards with NO Monitor plugged into them will always defer to another GTX card in the system that DOES have a monitor plugged in as the primary card. The PCI slot it's plugged into doesn't matter, if the bottom card has a monitor plugged in and the top card doesn't -- the bottom is the primary. If you move the monitor to the top card, then the top is the primary.

Greg
Let me try to explain better, my english is not so good

In my old MB and always when i had sli in MB the top card when plugged was showed as the card one, now in this board the card one is the bottom one and not more the top one, the top now shows as card two to the system, i thought this weird

The first pciex slot is supossed to be always the principal one when you use sli right? In this case appears that the second one that runs as principal, i don't know if i'm woring to much about that
smile.gif

Anyway, i think now i could explain a little better, resuming, the firts card the top one shows as card 2 in sli and system and the bottom one show as the card one or principal in ghe system, for me is inverter, but they are doing fine the job anyway

But is this normal?

Thanks again guys

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,344 Posts
Gigabyte is notorious for re-arranging the gpu designation. I know this is common w/ the Sniper3 Z77 and the UP7

Here's my setup:

Slot #1 (top most green slot): gpu#2
Slot#2: gpu#3
Slot#3:gpu#1

So as you can see, its confusing as heck especially if you're trying to plug in multiple monitors (l'm running Surround). Its not Nv fault since I got the correct designation w/ other boards from other makes. GB does it weird
tongue.gif

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermad View Post

Gigabyte is notorious for re-arranging the gpu designation. I know this is common w/ the Sniper3 Z77 and the UP7

Here's my setup:

Slot #1 (top most green slot): gpu#2
Slot#2: gpu#3
Slot#3:gpu#1

So as you can see, its confusing as heck especially if you're trying to plug in multiple monitors (l'm running Surround). Its not Nv fault since I got the correct designation w/ other boards from other makes. GB does it weird
tongue.gif
Thanks, but it`s strange, let me try to explain better
smile.gif

The cards are plugged in the first slot and slot 3 as the manual asks to to make 16/16, i just confirmed in the GPUZ that i`m using 16/16 here, but just in Nvidia control panel it says that if i connect the video cable in the card that is in the first slot i`m using the card 2 instead the card 1

Thanks

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsarahan View Post

Thanks, but it`s strange, let me try to explain better
smile.gif

The cards are plugged in the first slot and slot 3 as the manual asks to to make 16/16, i just confirmed in the GPUZ that i`m using 16/16 here, but just in Nvidia control panel it says that if i connect the video cable in the card that is in the first slot i`m using the card 2 instead the card 1

Thanks
Yup, that's pretty much what I said. If I only run two cards in 16x/16x (1st and 3rd slots), the top card is #2 and the bottom is #1. Its just how GB does it. Its weird, but you can eventually figure this out.

• Rep+
Reactions: wsarahan

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Yup, that's pretty much what I said. If I only run two cards in 16x/16x (1st and 3rd slots), the top card is #2 and the bottom is #1. Its just how GB does it. Its weird, but you can eventually figure this out.
Thanks man +rep!!!

If you say that`s a gigabyte way to work i`m more calm now
smile.gif

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys just to be 100% sure what slot`s should i use, take a look at this image:

The slots that i`m using is the ones that i made the arrows, is this correct?

thanks

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsarahan View Post

Guys just to be 100% sure what slot`s should i use, take a look at this image:

The slots that i`m using is the ones that i made the arrows, is this correct?

thanks
Yes, those are the 16x slots. But even 8x 3.0 is perfectly fine as well. If you look closely towards the left side of the slot, it says 16x.

• Rep+
Reactions: wsarahan

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Yes, those are the 16x slots. But even 8x 3.0 is perfectly fine as well. If you look closely towards the left side of the slot, it says 16x.
Thanks, so i made it correctly
thumb.gif

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,344 Posts
Hey, just wanted to share I just got my Sniper5 last week and like Sniper3 it screws up your gpu designation.

I have three 780s in 16x(1), 8x(1), and 16x(2) slots. Like before the bottom card (16x-2) is gpu #1 in, the top card is #2, and the middle card is #3. I verified this when setting up Surround. It tells you were each monitor goes.

Weird but that's how they work. Loving Haswell and Sniper5
biggrin.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.