Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions for a new monitor. I was waiting for the Predator x27, but I'm not willing to spend $2000 on it with the FALD haloing effect. I'm going to wait until they release something with OLED quality before I spend this much money.

I don't have a set budget, I already had enough set aside for a x27.

Some requirements I have are:

1440p / 4k
144Hz
G-sync is a must. No Freesync.
Must have decent color. IPS or VA are probably fine. No TN panels.
Not sure if I would want to go with 21:9. Game support is pretty hit or miss.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the best we have to offer in the 1440p department is three year old monitors, I think I'm going to pass. That just seems like a bad buy at this point in it's life span. I might have to start looking at other options such as 21:9 so I'm not getting stuck with this old tech that was plagued with QC issues.

As for the 27" 4k argument, I completely disagree. I want the PPI to be super high and I would probably not enjoy a 16:9 monitor in the >30" range.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If the best we have to offer in the 1440p department is three year old monitors, I think I'm going to pass. That just seems like a bad buy at this point in it's life span. I might have to start looking at other options such as 21:9 so I'm not getting stuck with this old tech that was plagued with QC issues.

As for the 27" 4k argument, I completely disagree. I want the PPI to be super high and I would probably not enjoy a 16:9 monitor in the >30" range.
Acer VG270UP will likely have updated panel. No info about new 1440p 144Hz IPS releases from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
21:9 from Acer, Asus or Alienware. Acer has a couple newer ones out and the Alienware is 120hz IPS. Other than those, not much else very exciting going on, although I think if you want 27" the Asus IPS 165hz is still the best out there. Just because its old doesn't mean much. The tech hasn't changed because it hit a wall. There's nowhere for the tech to go unless they get FALD done right or go with OLED or MicroLED or mini LED.
I think that's a big reason why they are pushing the FALD advancement. They need a new technology to keep selling us that can be improved continuously for a while. They start with 384 zones and sell that. Then they also have the 21:9 versions and people will buy those. Then they add more zones and people will upgrade. Maybe they add even more zones before MicroLED becomes a thing. But right now, IPS gaming panels are tapped out. You got IPS with high refresh and Gsync. That was the holy grail for a long time. Now people have it but there's nowhere to go, so they decide to go with FALD which can be refined over and over again.
Seriously, the very first 144hz 1440p IPS Gsync panel, the Acer XB270HU, is still as good as the newest IPS gaming panels. They're all basically the same. So don't let "being old tech" deter you. It might be old tech, but it's also the only tech unless you want $2,000 halos while you wait for OLED or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts