Overclock.net banner

Which Motherbaord?

  • ASUS M3A78-EM

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • BIOSTAR TA790GX XE

    Votes: 6 30.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
My vote went to the Gigabyte board because you don't need any more than that to run your current CPU.
If you plan on upgrading to any of the new Phenom II CPUs in the future, then definitely get the Biostar board, since it has the 790/SB750 chipsets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i forgot to change my computer info, i have the phenom II X4 940 but it the info is accurate now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Are these the ones that you have to pick from, there are some better 790FX and 790X boards that support AM3 and AM2+. What socket is you CPU?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by vortex24
View Post

Are these the ones that you have to pick from, there are some better 790FX and 790X boards that support AM3 and AM2+. What socket is you CPU?

his is am2+

edit and i vote to keep the gigabyte doa's just happen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,737 Posts
Go for the Biostar.... a nice board with 140W CPU support and the SB750....

The main differences between the two chipsets is that the 790GX runs at a higher clockspeed, and can run two x8 graphics lanes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,533 Posts
The 780G is SB700 and 790GX is SB750.

And I'll go ahead and suggest my sig board - The DFI Lanparty DK 790GX-M2RS.

Out of all the boards I've ever owned, this one is by far the most customizable. I have never seen this many BIOS options or settings. Not to mention how easy it is to understand. It's a little more expensive than the rest of the 790GX boards, but well worth it in my opinion. And contrary to what other people may say, this board does in fact bring a DVI adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136058
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

The 780G is SB700 and 790GX is SB750.

And I'll go ahead and suggest my sig board - The DFI Lanparty DK 790GX-M2RS.

Out of all the boards I've ever owned, this one is by far the most customizable. I have never seen this many BIOS options or settings. Not to mention how easy it is to understand. It's a little more expensive than the rest of the 790GX boards, but well worth it in my opinion. And contrary to what other people may say, this board does in fact bring a DVI adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136058

i believe theres a jr. version of the board too because i do not think hes looking for standared atx
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Shift.

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,533 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mr. biggums
View Post

i believe theres a jr. version of the board too because i do not think hes looking for standared atx

You're right. Good catch.


I hadn't noticed he was looking for an mATX board. Nonetheless, here's the JR. version you're talking about.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136056
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by peste19 View Post
I have a gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H which came defective and newegg no gave me a choice if i wanted to exchange or get me another and i dont know what to pick, now i was looking at

asus - M3A78-EM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131324

and the new BIOSTAR TA790GX XE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138140

Give me your opinion

by the way what does 790gx have over 780g???
Does it have to be within a certain price? I own the Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 and it's sweet...although it doesn't have onboard video if that's a concern with you. I got it for 114$ about a 3 weeks ago..Just something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i am looking for a matx i should of said that my bad. The dfi doesn't work for me cause i need two PCI express slots and the dfi only has one but thanks for mentioning it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AIpha View Post
Does it have to be within a certain price? I own the Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 and it's sweet...although it doesn't have onboard video if that's a concern with you. I got it for 114$ about a 3 weeks ago..Just something to think about.

Thanks but i need a matx and i need onboard video
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon Tortise View Post
I would go with the gigabyte, it's great to start with if you want to overclock. Plus thats what i got.

What processor do you got and what temps do you get, mine runs a little hot under normal use
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
reason yours runs a little hot is your stock cooler. go for a decent cooler like the TRUE or v8 and your temps will greatly improve.

if your looking for room to improve go for the biostar. thats one of the boards that support the tricore to quad core hack. meaning you can buy a phenom tricore and in the bios you can enable the 4th disabled core. saving alot of money on a quadcore. nvm saw you had a quadcore already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
to late now lol would of been good to know that i could do that with another processor saving me some money. I only tried to overclock it once and it was with the amd overdrive and didnt go really far with the auto clock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
reference clock and multiplier OCs are typically more stable from what i have seen. its applied before boot so it removes the risk of booting into windows then your clock changing and provides more control over your clocks.. that throw a wrench in the system ha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can anyone tell me how safe is raising the multiplier is? And what warranty does the biostar have? i know gigabyte is 3 years from the manufacture date and asus is 3 years. How is their support for bios fixes and drivers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,737 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top