Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Intel motherboard... great motherboard, but not for a overclocker.

I have limited my new motherboard to these 4 boards:

http://labs.anandtech.com/products.php?sfilter=388
http://labs.anandtech.com/products.php?sfilter=431

They all have 2 PCIe16 slots. I am a Nvidia person, but I do not see myself using SLI in the near future. So having the Nforce chipset really doesn't matter. I am looking for the best motherboard in the following areas:
-Overall quality
-Overclock
-Compatability with future processors (65nm, dual core, Conroe, ect)
-Performance

Pretty much my biggest desision is wether to go with the Nforce chipset motherboard, or the 975X chipset motherboard....
I have never used Gigabyte motherboards, so any feedback on those would be nice.

Last thing, I am not familiar with DFI, it seams DFI doesn't do a lot of Intel stuff... But if they have a great Intel 775 board, give me a link.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
My choice would be the new 975x chipsets. They support ati crossfire now and possibly sli with a bios update. I like the Asus board better...more pci slots and a better layout. I have also read that the cooling stuff on the gigabyte board is a bit noisey. The Quad royal board has 4 pci-ex slots so unless you need more than 4 monitors....
I don't think it's necessesary. Also intel chipsets seem to overclock better than NF4 chips on an intel platform.

• Rep+
Reactions: pauldovi

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa

My choice would be the new 975x chipsets. They support ati crossfire now and possibly sli with a bios update. I like the Asus board better...more pci slots and a better layout. I have also read that the cooling stuff on the gigabyte board is a bit noisey. The Quad royal board has 4 pci-ex slots so unless you need more than 4 monitors....
I don't think it's necessesary. Also intel chipsets seem to overclock better than NF4 chips on an intel platform.

Thats also the way I am thinking. I have used ASUS before, and I have been very pleased. I have also heard about a rumored BIOS update to support SLI on the 975X... (Gigabyte is even shipping their 975X boards with the SLI link cable)

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Thats also the way I am thinking. I have used ASUS before, and I have been very pleased. I have also heard about a rumored BIOS update to support SLI on the 975X... (Gigabyte is even shipping their 975X boards with the SLI link cable)

I'll be ordering the Asus P5WD2-E board in a couple weeks.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are expensive and most places still say pre-order... Not sure why. I think I will wait a few weeks as well because I am hearing about beta BIOS trouble, ect. I will wait for them to tweak it and the price to go down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts