Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Unimportant
Joined
·
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I want a new mouse pad, I use my G700 on a table with a cloth on it when gaming and can't stand to not have one. I would like a nice looking one, I got from a trade years ago a ratpadz mouse pad, and hate it with a passion. Its like trying to use my mouse on ice....so I need something that has some friction. Or does it even matter?...I don't know, but why not make a thread anyways.
thumb.gif


Just a side point, anyone seen a cheap G700 knock off mouse, or a cheap G700 anywhere.
 

·
Unimportant
Joined
·
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post

Cloth, plastic or aluminum?
Well that ratpadz is plastic of some sort, and its way to slick. Honestly I don't care material, currently I am using a super cheap/free mouse pad which is probably 1/3 the thickness of a normal mousepad. So I am open to any suggestions you have.
 

·
Retired Moderation
Joined
·
10,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans81 View Post

I think I like the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826999069 Razer one, any reason why the others would be better?
Something as comparable as the Razer your looking at but less 'splash'. Roccat Taito but only as an aesthetic preference, not that it's any better. Comes in different sizes 3mm & 5mm thickness. Mionix Sargas goes even lower with slim profile 0.008mm thick which feels as hard as your desk but soft as cloth to the touch gliding your mouse. It too comes in variable sizes 320, 400, 900. Again only for less splash.

Large cloth pads usually need to flattened out for about 24 hrs with heavy books on it, that comes rolled up in packaging.

Personally I guess I feel laser sensors respond better on plastic or harder pads over cloth IMO.

Razer has great new hard pads like the Destructor 2. Another alternative is the Mionix Ensis 320 a black brushed aluminum pad that tracks exceptionally well with lasers but only if you don't mind an icy feel on your wrist when you first use it. Darn thing gets very cold. Warms up after some use but don't leave for too long....
tongue.gif


One more option to look into would be Steel Series HD two sizes 4HD & 9HD variants. It's not as hard as solid plastic with ever slight flex to it and not plastic but more of a material feel.

Hope I widened your search options.
thumb.gif
 

·
Unimportant
Joined
·
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I am probably not going to have an aluminum one for that very reason, I don't want something that is cold, I rarely play for long. Being that I am 31, with 4 kids, I never get to sit down for more than an hour of gaming at a time these days. I probably play less than 2 hours of gaming a week max. I am worried about all of these pad, because they seem so happy with the fact that there is little to no friction to the pad. Like I said that ratpadz pad is like trying to use my mouse on ice, and I really find it adverse to what I want. I could care less about the flash, I mean I am going to be using it with a Sager laptop with backlit keys and such. I have never been one for the totally minimalist, or the extreme either. When I build a rig its usually black, with a few led fans in a single color. I don't use cold cathodes, or sleeving...does that give you any insight into what I like lol?
 

·
Mouse reviewer
Joined
·
3,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans81 View Post

Yeah I am probably not going to have an aluminum one for that very reason, I don't want something that is cold, I rarely play for long. Being that I am 31, with 4 kids, I never get to sit down for more than an hour of gaming at a time these days. I probably play less than 2 hours of gaming a week max. I am worried about all of these pad, because they seem so happy with the fact that there is little to no friction to the pad. Like I said that ratpadz pad is like trying to use my mouse on ice, and I really find it adverse to what I want. I could care less about the flash, I mean I am going to be using it with a Sager laptop with backlit keys and such. I have never been one for the totally minimalist, or the extreme either. When I build a rig its usually black, with a few led fans in a single color. I don't use cold cathodes, or sleeving...does that give you any insight into what I like lol?
If you want a rougher surface go for the Steelseries NP+, it's plain black and has more friction than the Qck+. The glide is still extremely good imo, but I get better control with it.
 

·
Unimportant
Joined
·
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ino. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans81 View Post

Yeah I am probably not going to have an aluminum one for that very reason, I don't want something that is cold, I rarely play for long. Being that I am 31, with 4 kids, I never get to sit down for more than an hour of gaming at a time these days. I probably play less than 2 hours of gaming a week max. I am worried about all of these pad, because they seem so happy with the fact that there is little to no friction to the pad. Like I said that ratpadz pad is like trying to use my mouse on ice, and I really find it adverse to what I want. I could care less about the flash, I mean I am going to be using it with a Sager laptop with backlit keys and such. I have never been one for the totally minimalist, or the extreme either. When I build a rig its usually black, with a few led fans in a single color. I don't use cold cathodes, or sleeving...does that give you any insight into what I like lol?
If you want a rougher surface go for the Steelseries NP+, it's plain black and has more friction than the Qck+. The glide is still extremely good imo, but I get better control with it.
I could go with what you say, just because of your avatar......

I found it on amazon for $22....it actually looks tempting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strayakent View Post

If you like aluminium the Mionix Ensis 320 and Razer Manticor are nice
That manticor is a bit pricey...lol. I just don't know about aluminum....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
I agree with laser mice performing better on hard surfaces.
con is almost all hard surfaces are cold, I myself used the 9hd from steelseries for ages but have heard good things aswell over the destructor 1 and 2 of Razer.

And may I ask what games do you play when you play youre 2 hours a week? just curious
biggrin.gif
 

·
Unimportant
Joined
·
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltel1te View Post

I agree with laser mice performing better on hard surfaces.
con is almost all hard surfaces are cold, I myself used the 9hd from steelseries for ages but have heard good things aswell over the destructor 1 and 2 of Razer.

And may I ask what games do you play when you play youre 2 hours a week? just curious
biggrin.gif
I would say most of my gaming lately (since its release) is Borderlands 2, I was playing Diablo 3 before that(pretty much have abandoned that), and I still play some Starcraft 2 on occasion. At some point I will start playing Torchlight 2....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans81 View Post

I could go with what you say, just because of your avatar......

I found it on amazon for $22....it actually looks tempting.
That manticor is a bit pricey...lol. I just don't know about aluminum....
I only recommended the Manticor as i found some places selling it for $30 last week
 

·
Unimportant
Joined
·
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by strayakent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans81 View Post

I could go with what you say, just because of your avatar......

I found it on amazon for $22....it actually looks tempting.
That manticor is a bit pricey...lol. I just don't know about aluminum....
I only recommended the Manticor as i found some places selling it for $30 last week
I don't know about aluminum or not....I am afraid its going to be ice cold, and that the kids might get hold of it and bend it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
I have the Razer Goliath Control Edition and really like it. Would recommend the bigger sizes. I got the standard (medium) sized one and I'm finding that it would be more comfortable to have a bigger one. Mainly just when playing games.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top