Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I currently have an ASUS Eee 1005Ha netbook and it has served me well for about 2.5 years, but I was considering upgrading since my parents could use a portable computer for around the house and I would like to play videos greater than.... dvd quality. It would be a win-win.

I was looking around and apparently the Ion netbooks aren't around too much anymore compared to a year ago. All I see now is the 11.6 inch models with C-60 AMD hardware. More or less, I'd like to not have all my eggs in one basket as the only C-60 model is the Acer Aspire One. Are there any comparable alternatives from Intel to compare for about that same price range or is the Aspire One amazing?

Let me know what you think. I'd pretty much like to have something a tad more powerful than what I have just for HD video playback, not for gaming; I have my sig rig for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
I'm not sure about the original Atom series but anything with the GMA3100s like my N450 can handle any HD video so long as it is not x264/h264 or VC-1. So if you don't absolutely need to get a new one you could transcode to mpeg4 encoded video and enjoy with no really noticeable loss (aim for 12Mbps average). That said the C-60 should be able to meet your requirements and if you're in windows only then it won't be any loss for missing Nvidia hardware since DXVA just doesn't match VDPAU.

PS: Are you talking about this Acer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215172

Because I can't find anything close in price that matches size and performance.

If you're open to used or refurb there might be some things with i3-330ums floating around but they're hard to find.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I personally own a HP dm1z (with an e-350) and a Acer AO722-BZ454 (c-60) and both play HD video perfectly fine off of YouTube and exporting to a TV via different formats. I made 2 comparison tests on YouTube and I have posted them below if you are interested:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that is the model I'm talking about. I'd mainly be playing h.264/x264 video so transcoding everything again would be a pain just for this computer. Im also not set up for mpeg4 coding with my softwares.

I'm not really open to refurb/used tho. I'd prefer to buy new.

Given the screen resolution, 1080p isn't like a necessity. I mean, even 720p video from a distance on a 1080p tv set isn't all that bad so having something this small with a slightly larger resolution than 720p video shouldn't be that much of a visual loss.

Basically, my needs are quite simple. I'd just like to do what I already do (writing, internet (duh), video) with the addition of a slightly higher resolution monitor and mkv/mov HD playback in 720p or 1080p (will settle for 720p, although 1080p would be kinda nice if I HDMI out).

Just an FYI, when I bought my 1005HA Eee PC, I formatted and installed Windows 7 on it from day 1. I dislike bloatware and I could care less about whatever the netbook makers include. I'll do everything myself.

As for the Intel GPU one you listed, I did notice those, however I've always been leery of onboard video. Given, I did buy a netbook with onboard, but I absolutely knew what I was getting and knew what I could do with it. I read every review plus watched all video benchmarks before purchase. It was exactly what I knew it could do. Because of what you listed above, I am unsure of the onboard ones and would prefer a discreet GPU.

*edit* To the person who just posted above me after I posted this message, I will watch your videos right now. I was trolling on youtube last night looking around to see what comparisons were there, however most of the C-60 videos I watched, the video benchmarker failed mention the container and codec much less any settings being used to play the video.

Suggestions or is the C-60 good?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting HP machine. I typically try to stay in the ASUS market, however since they don't have any AMD builds or faster Intel ones, I'm forced to consider other companies. As much as I'd hate to buy an HP machine, it does have slightly better specs than the Acer, however per the 2nd video test, the results aren't that much different. Instead, I would compare other features such as reliability/heat.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
The C-60 should be able to handle x264/VC-1. As for the resolution thing that's different; if you give the netbook a 1080p file it will play a 1080p file on whatever resolution the screen it's connected to is set for.

PS: The C-60 has an "onboard" GPU like my N450 (they both have GPUs built onto the CPU die). Only difference is the obvious advantage the C-60 will have with HDMI capability and HD x264/VC-1 decode capabilities.

On a side note Intel's refreshed Atoms should be coming out which will finally have full HD (including x264/VC-1) decoding and HDMI plus being dual cores all in a package that supposedly will take only 3-4watts max (N2600). So if you need something now or don't have a need for the lower power usage or like Intel that much then get the C-60 because the N2600 is basically even with it outside of "gaming".

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITRO1250 View Post

Yeah, that is the model I'm talking about. I'd mainly be playing h.264/x264 video so transcoding everything again would be a pain just for this computer. Im also not set up for mpeg4 coding with my softwares.
I'm not really open to refurb/used tho. I'd prefer to buy new.
Given the screen resolution, 1080p isn't like a necessity. I mean, even 720p video from a distance on a 1080p tv set isn't all that bad so having something this small with a slightly larger resolution than 720p video shouldn't be that much of a visual loss.
Basically, my needs are quite simple. I'd just like to do what I already do (writing, internet (duh), video) with the addition of a slightly higher resolution monitor and mkv/mov HD playback in 720p or 1080p (will settle for 720p, although 1080p would be kinda nice if I HDMI out).
Just an FYI, when I bought my 1005HA Eee PC, I formatted and installed Windows 7 on it from day 1. I dislike bloatware and I could care less about whatever the netbook makers include. I'll do everything myself.
As for the Intel GPU one you listed, I did notice those, however I've always been leery of onboard video. Given, I did buy a netbook with onboard, but I absolutely knew what I was getting and knew what I could do with it. I read every review plus watched all video benchmarks before purchase. It was exactly what I knew it could do. Because of what you listed above, I am unsure of the onboard ones and would prefer a discreet GPU.
*edit* To the person who just posted above me after I posted this message, I will watch your videos right now. I was trolling on youtube last night looking around to see what comparisons were there, however most of the C-60 videos I watched, the video benchmarker failed mention the container and codec much less any settings being used to play the video.
Suggestions or is the C-60 good?
Yeah C-60 should be perfect. Throw a SSD in there as well and it will be very fast and snappy. The C-50 is no slouch, it can easily keep up with even source games like CSS or L4D2.
Quote:

Very interesting HP machine. I typically try to stay in the ASUS market, however since they don't have any AMD builds or faster Intel ones, I'm forced to consider other companies. As much as I'd hate to buy an HP machine, it does have slightly better specs than the Acer, however per the 2nd video test, the results aren't that much different. Instead, I would compare other features such as reliability/heat.
I'm not a big fan of HP either but that dm1z is really something. HP usually makes strange looking laptops but I love the look of the dm1z. It never gets hot and the keyboard and asthetics are a hell of a lot better than the Acer's. If there is only a $100 difference between the two I would not hesitate buying the HP (especially considering the E-450 model is out for $400 right now on the HP website).

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, I know exactly how the video file plays regardless of resolution (scaling). Also, I worded it improperly. Yes it is onboard, but I was using onboard in the sense that the video (gpu processing) wasn't being done solely on the CPU but on a separate chip. I was a little skeptical of the AMD units because I haven't seen too many reviews and stuff, but I know how capable Ion is (built an Ion HTPC build over a year ago which does 1080p 99% correctly after a mess of tweaking with codecs).

I am in no rush to have anything immediately. I'd rather plan and watch before purchasing. That is how I do it with everything I buy. I dislike jumping into anything without weighing the options. I'll keep my eyes open on the N2600 machines to see if their power usage is any lower. I'm always skeptical about pre-release information.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Comrade, I missed your post earlier while I was typing the other one. As you have tested the 2 models, how do they fair with processing, say 1080p mkv's?

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Well everything I've seen says that when you get rid of the OEM's bloatware the C-60 is quite the capable chip so bluray shouldn't be a problem for it...there were a few mentions though about flash not liking the GPU but that was 3 months ago so they should have sorted that out. As for the N2600 I'm disappointed it's not going to be faster than the N550/570 in CPU performance but hell if Intel can deliver the 3.5watt max power consumption with the HD and HDMI then it's still something worthwhile. The thing that blows my mind is that it's listed as a 47USD per chip for 1k amounts of chips. So hopefully it will mean the next line of netbooks will be cheaper and yet better.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just purchased an HP one that you listed with the E-450 CPU. I weighed the options and with my 10% off student discount, it came to $404 for everything stock except CPU upgrade. I'm not worried about bloatware. I'm swapping out the HDD as I have a 7200rpm drive I'm sticking in along with a fresh clean install of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. Should be a zippy upgrade without spending a ton on an SSD. Plus, I get to sell my current netbook to my parents so I save even more. The upgrade, for what it is, is faster than my current single core Intel 1.6ghz CPU with onboard GPU. I can't wait to get it in the mail.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:

I just purchased an HP one that you listed with the E-450 CPU. I weighed the options and with my 10% off student discount, it came to $404 for everything stock except CPU upgrade. I'm not worried about bloatware. I'm swapping out the HDD as I have a 7200rpm drive I'm sticking in along with a fresh clean install of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. Should be a zippy upgrade without spending a ton on an SSD. Plus, I get to sell my current netbook to my parents so I save even more. The upgrade, for what it is, is faster than my current single core Intel 1.6ghz CPU with onboard GPU. I can't wait to get it in the mail.
Gratz! I know you will love the dm1z! The E-450 version fixed every single flaw that the older version had so it is an extremely solid notebook for the price.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post

Gratz! I know you will love the dm1z! The E-450 version fixed every single flaw that the older version had so it is an extremely solid notebook for the price.
Indeed! I can't wait to have a mobile HD video player for on the go watching.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

Just don't expect to make it through more than one 2 or more hour movie I think. The E-450 is 18watts when stressed.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Quote:

Just don't expect to make it through more than one 2 or more hour movie I think. The E-450 is 18watts when stressed.
On mine I could watch 4 movies and still have enough battery life to listen to music and type in a document.

Sent from my GT-I9100

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post

On mine I could watch 4 movies and still have enough battery life to listen to music and type in a document.
Sent from my GT-I9100
Straight up Bluray mkv rips? Maybe the battery has improved. Damn...now I want one.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I won't be using it on battery for that and if I do, it will be for very short jaunts. I'm just fortunate to have easy access to outlets when I'm on campus or at work
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Quote:

good choice should you ever want to play some games (specially older ones) in the future the E350 will be your friend.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, this isn't for gaming. If anything, I'd do basic stuff like in Autodesk Maya or something. Maya worked relatively good with 7K poly on screen wtih my ASUS Eee 1005Ha netbook. Nothing major like 7K, just small stuff if any.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts