Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've finally put together my computer here, and i'm looking to overclock. I have never overclocked before, and reading around, even help is still explained like the person knows what they are doing. I don't need to become an overclocking genious, but if you could walk me through this rig, that would be awsome

I've got...
Asus p5n-d 750i Mobo
Intel q6600
4 GB DDR2 800 Ram
Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 1gb
Also, Noctua NH-u12 and Coolermaster stacker 830, so i have the cooling covered.

I've looked over the Large thread regarding the mobo and cpu, and i have attempted to overclock using that small guide and numbers, but what happens is it wont boot into windows.

I have also noticed that even though my RAM is made as 4-4-4-12, that my bios has put it as 5-5-5-15. Evidently this is a normal problem with the p5n-d. But I haven't the foggiest idea how to go about fixing that.

I have updated my bios to the latest version, I have windows 7 aswell, if that matters. I'm using Prime95 for stress tests, Core temp for temps and CPU-Z.

I would like to squeeze as much power out of this machine as possible, so if you all could give me a helping hand I would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
All motherboards automatically set the memory timings according to the JEDEC tables stored in the RAM. Quite often RAM manufacturers will build the looser timings into the RAM as a sort of fail safe.

So in order to properly get the rated timing from your kit you'll need to manually input the RAM timings and voltage according to the specs in the bios (refer to the manual).

The SPD tab in CPU-Z and memset can offer you insight regarding the default timings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts