Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just joined this community, having read some of your valuable assistance in case of suggestions for newbies of watercooling.
I would like to ask you some opinion on a PC that I am slowly assembling, having decided that it was time to upgrade my old PC after at least 7 years !!!
I still have to buy some parts of my build but i am almost at the end, just few things are still needed, and now I am going to deal with the most sensitive issue, the liquid cooling system.
Having no prior experience in the field I gave myself a little reading and I decided for a custom system open to future upgrades.
Initially the loop will include only one processor, in a few months i will also decide to incorporate future video card.

Here is a summary of the build :

Already bought parts :
Case : Corsair Obsidian 900D
Power Supply : Corsair AX1200i
APC : POWERWALKER VFI1500 LCD ON-LINE
Motherboard : Asus Maximus VIII Extreme
CPU : Intetl I7-6700K
HDD : Multimedial support Seagate ST8000AS0002 8TB
SSD : SSD Secondary SAMSUNG 850 EVO 256 GB
SSD : SSD Just another drive i already have VERTEX 4 - 128 GB
Blu-Ray recorder : Pioneer BDR-209EBK
Fan controller : NZXT SENTRY 2
Controller LED lights : NZXT HUE+
Ram colling system : CORSAIR AirFlow 2 CMXAF2
Internal Hub USB : NZXT IU01

parts still needed to buy :
RAM : DDR4 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3000MHz CL14 Kit Dual Channel
Primary OS SSD : Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Video card : Stand by until the release of new Nvidia line GP100
Fan Splitter PWM : Phobya PWM 8x 4Pin Splitter
Water Cooling : Custom system
Mouse : Corsair Gaming Scimitar RGB
Keyboard : Corsair Strafe RGB MX Brown

About the water cooling sytem my idea is :
Radiatore : EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Quad) in configurazione PUSH con 4 ventole Corsair Sp120 PWM
otherwise : EK-CoolStream PE 480 (Quad) in configurazione PUSH/PULL con 8 ventole Corsair Sp120 PWM

Pump : EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexy
otherwise : I like the SANSO PDH 054 12V but i think it is not PWM and i would control the pump through the motherboard.

Reservoir : EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir

Waterblock : EK-Supremacy EVO Elite Edition - Intel 115x
otherwise : XSPC RayStorm Pro WaterBlock Intel

Fittings : Compression fittings
EK-ACF Compression fittings 10/16mm - Black Nickel
EK-AF rotatory adaptor 90° G1/4 Black Nickel
I also want to establish a connection for the draining of the system to be connected immediately after the pump which results to be the lower component in the loop.
I plan to connect a T-connector to the pump outlet, the first output goes into the loop while the second serves as a channel for draining.
Connect to the second output of the T-fitting a faucet valve
I want to connect to the faucet valve a quick disconnect fitting as the Koolance male BLACK threaded 1/4G QD3-MSG4-BK

Soft Tubing : 3 meters of Primochill tube 10/16 mm Advanced LRT- Crystal Clear

Please let me know your opinions, if i am on the right way or i need to reconsider something!

Thanks in advance!

Neo

·
Overclocker
680 Posts
everything looks good, i use a lot of the same parts that you have listed and love them. I would however recommend going with a different radiator fan than the corsair sp120s.

I have 23 corsair fans in my build, 19 of them are sp120 HPE pwm versions. I find myself constantly chasing down fans making ticking noises at idle speeds. They never do it when you first buy them, but usually start after a few weeks of use. I'm replacing all of them soon.

That being said, they perform well, look nice, and in push configurations are quiet up to 1800rpm. In push/pull they will have a nasty noise profile(at least for my tastes) past 1100rpm.

Also, what do you plan to use for coolant?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
If you are spending that kind of money on a liquid cooling setup, outfit it with proper fans - GTs, eLoops, Vardars. Slapping mediocre (at their very, very best) fans on high end equipment makes no sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your time to answer to my questions,
I am glad to see that i am on a good path, as i said is my first approach to watercooling solution, so i would avoid big mistakes, so i am reading a lot before to make a final choice.
About the Corsair fan i choosed them because i saw many review about the performance and are mostly on the top of the benchmarks.
I also noticed that other users as mentioned some noisy issue with these kind of fans.
Probably i will not reach 19 fans in my build also because i have to tie the case to the floor to avoid it takeoffs.

I would consider also the Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM or NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM but i am not sure they are quite enough and i also see that the benchmarks are not so good.

About the coolant i think something like EK-Ekoolant EVO Blood RED (premix 1L)

Here i post the actual state of the build, you can see a custom midplate made with Plexiglas wrapped with alluminium brushed tape attached to another white diffusor plexiglas combined with led lights it give nice results. The ROG logo and digits are made with lasercut. There is also another plexiglas panel to hide the side of the 5.25" slots.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Drop the Corsair fans, they are not worth the money and a source of grief.... they dont play PWM very well
Noctua Industrial are too expensive for what they are.

Try EK Vardars, or Nidec GT15s or NoiseBlocker eLoops (PWM) or Alphacool / Phobya eLOOP Voltage variants
Consider using the Swiftech 8-way splitter iso the Phobya
OR the Phanteks PWM to Voltage Fan Hub if you want to use voltage fans in stead off all PWM

Liquid: Distilled with a pinch of Citric Acid and/or a 10% Automotive Coolant solution.
smile.gif

Blood Red is one of those mixes that will stain everything... even 5 years from now the inside of the blocks/rads/hoses will still bleed pink
smile.gif

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRollie View Post

Drop the Corsair fans, they are not worth the money and a source of grief.... they dont play PWM very well
Noctua Industrial are too expensive for what they are.

Try EK Vardars, or Nidec GT15s or NoiseBlocker eLoops (PWM) or Alphacool / Phobya eLOOP Voltage variants
Consider using the Swiftech 8-way splitter iso the Phobya
OR the Phanteks PWM to Voltage Fan Hub if you want to use voltage fans in stead off all PWM

Liquid: Distilled with a pinch of Citric Acid and/or a 10% Automotive Coolant solution.
smile.gif

Blood Red is one of those mixes that will stain everything... even 5 years from now the inside of the blocks/rads/hoses will still bleed pink
smile.gif
could also use cougar Vortex / Turbines im running PWM vortexes on my rad and have no issues with flow. or static pressure.

couple pics to give you an idea, rad is pull only config.

·
Overclocker
680 Posts
Go with one of the fans RnRollie suggested for radiators. I seriously regret my decision on the corsair fans. I just dropped $450 on EK Vardars yesterday to replace every last one of the corsair fans.

Do it once, do it right. Don't be like me.

With coolant i found that the primochill tubing doesn't play nice with colored coolant. It always got stained rather quickly then within a month or two the tubing would turn a nasty color that was not the same as the coolant color ruining the look. Part of the reason i went hardline was to not have to deal with that. If using soft tube, distilled water all the way. Use lighting case lighting for colors instead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys all of you (@Edge0fsanity @ciarlatano @RnRollie @PCSarge)
You just give me more options to consider, my next buy will be the DDR4 so i still have some weeks to think about the waterloop, the most important thing is that each of you seems to agree about the hardware choice,(Radiator, Waterblock, Reservoir and Pump, and fittings) so the fans and the liquid can be considered without compromising the most important part of the loop.
I will check on internet that fans and i will also which are most easy to find here.

Some points i would receive a confirmation are about the drain system do you think it i will be ok as i planned or there is a better solution?

@RnRollie "Consider using the Swiftech 8-way splitter iso the Phobya OR the Phanteks PWM to Voltage Fan Hub if you want to use voltage fans in stead off all PWM"
I have to check i can find it here, anyway i would go with PWM for the radiator fans to use Motherboard integrated control (CPU-Fan pwm connector)
With the Sentry 2 i will control the front case fans, the corsair airflow 2 fans, and i am thinking to add a custom heatsink + fan to the Samsung 950 Pro (but i will decide once the build will be done and after some temperature testing).

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
well depending where you are.. aquatuning is present in +20 countries
and most people are quite happy about delivery speed - sometimes even beating PPCS in the US
smile.gif

The only thing is.. they wont carry EK stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just made a quick search about the suggested fans and i found the follow :
EK-Vardar F4-120 2200rpm 4-pin PWM 14,95 €
- Max Air Flow: 77 CFM = 131 m³/h
- Static Pressure: 3.16mm H2O = 31 Pa
- Sleeved cable length: 300 mm
- Noise Level: 33.5 dBA

EK-Furious Vardar FF5-120 3000rpm 4-pin PWM 16,95 €
- Max Air Flow: 107 CFM = 181 m³/h
- Static Pressure: 5.81mm H2O = 57 Pa
- Sleeved cable length: 300 mm
- Noise Level: 42 dBA

NB-eLoop® Series 120mm 28,62 €
B12-P 2000rpm 4 Pin(PWM) 6.0 V / 12.0 V 28 dBA 132.4 m³

Nidec Servo GentleTyphoon 120 mm Case 2150 RPM 4 Pin(PWM) 27,55€
D1225C12B6ZPA-64 32 dBA 68 CFM

About the fan splitter
i checked the one suggested by @RnRollie
Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL-ST 8 Way PWM Splitter-Sata, Model: 8W-PWM-SPL-ST 90,00 + 10,00 shipping cost = 100,00 €

But 100,00 € just for a fan splitter seems to be a little bt ot much
i have found the
Phobya PWM 8x 4Pin Splitter 14,62 € including shipping
Probably there is a quality difference and the other difference is that the Swiftech has a serial ata power connection instead of a molex one as like the Phobya one.
But i think that for the kind of work also the Phobya should be ok or not??

Anyway i am in Italy (Naples) and i can found EK products or Xspc, Phobya, etc.. not always all the specific items are available but most of them yes.

·
Overclocker
680 Posts
that swiftech splitter is less than $10 in the USA, i have one sitting in my parts box that i never used because the corsair fans didn't play nice with it. 100 eur is insane for that cheap little thing. Just get the phobya one. The type of power connector, sata or molex, does not matter. They both function more or less in the same way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With a 480mm rad in a CPU only loop (or CPU and single GPU), you can get away with some very low fan speeds, so I would suggest selecting a rad that is designed for low RPM fans if your goal is a cool and quiet system. The EK PE rad with push-pull should out perform the EK XE with push only when at less than 1,000rpm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same reaction you had when i saw the price, unfortunately i made a search of it (not a deep search) but the only reseller who has it, sell through Amazon, and at the price i said. I thought it was robbery, for this reason i posted it, probably swiftech doesn't have a good reselling web on europe. I don't know. Anyway as i said and you confirmed is just a splitter and i can live with the Phobya one! :)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post

With a 480mm rad in a CPU only loop (or CPU and single GPU), you can get away with some very low fan speeds, so I would suggest selecting a rad that is designed for low RPM fans if your goal is a cool and quiet system. The EK PE rad with push-pull should out perform the EK XE with push only when at less than 1,000rpm.
Thanks right now it is planned to start with only CPU block also because i have no one who push me to buy immediately the Videocard (or videocards), i would try to wait new Nvidia generation to take a final decision if they don't ask to wait too much.
So probably the loop will be expanded when i will decide to add the videocard, anyway i a also planning to use the CPU computing to use some rendering software so to have the possibility to push the overclock to the limit could be an advantage so I am not sure to run the loop always at low RPM, but as i said inside my first post, the PE 480 Push/Pull solution was also considered by me, thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRollie View Post

yeah, get a Phobya or ModMyToys one.... but this is the first time i see teh Swiftech priced this high, somebody is trying to rip people off
http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx even with exchange rate and hi-demand/out of stock.. it should not be more as 15 Euros see: http://www.highflow.nl/fans/fans-ventilator-toebehoren/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-8w-pwm-spl.html
I see thank you my friend,
fortunately is not one of the most important component, anyway here you can see what i said :
http://www.amazon.it/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-Splitter-Sata-Model/dp/B018GLF5TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459955814&sr=8-1&keywords=swiftech+splitter

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahahah don't worry they will never see one euro from me. I already know aquatuning.it on amazon, but we also some specialized shop here in Italy, they have most of important brands and many items. As like https://www.ybris-cooling.it/693-watercooling anyway when I have to buy something I follow 3 rules.
1 choose exactly item and brand
2 compare each reseller offer and choose the best solution comparing service and price. Sometimes is better on certain items to pay a little bit more but to have a good customer service, for future issues.
3. If for some reason the item cannot be found here consider the international shipping or a similar item from another reliable brand.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

could also use cougar Vortex / Turbines im running PWM vortexes on my rad and have no issues with flow. or static pressure.
I would vote against the pwm cougar fans. While the fans themselves aren't loud, when throttled there is a very annoying digital noise present. When voltage controlled it isn't a problem, but when pwm controlled it is present. I run mine either silent (0%) or full (100%) since the pwm noise is more bothersome than the fans motor/air noise.

I plan to swap them out soon for some Varder or GT fans.

I have 4 non pwm variants, and run them full speed which is around 1300rpm, while the pwm run around 1600 rpm full speed.

Other than that, they are a decent fan... A little brittle where the blade meets hub, but that is pretty common these days with fans.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update 05.07.2016

Hi guys, I know some weeks without any news from me.. a little bit busy, anyway, the RIG is still working progress i made some progress and now there are really few step to end it.

The actual situation is :

Case : Corsair Obsidian 900D
Power Supply : Corsair AX1200i
APC : POWERWALKER VFI1500 LCD ON-LINE
Motherboard : Asus Maximus VIII Extreme
CPU : Intetl I7-6700K
HDD : Multimedial support Seagate ST8000AS0002 8TB
SSD : SSD Secondary SAMSUNG 850 EVO 256 GB
SSD : SSD Just another drive i already have VERTEX 4 - 128 GB
Blu-Ray recorder : Pioneer BDR-209EBK
Fan controller : NZXT SENTRY 2
Controller LED lights : NZXT HUE+
Additional LED Light : NZXT HUE+ Extension kit 2 x ( totally 4 strips)
Ram colling system : CORSAIR AirFlow 2 CMXAF2
Internal Hub USB : NZXT IU01
DDR4 : 64GB G.Skill 3000MHz CAS14
USB Internal HUB NZXT IU01

Water Cooling system :
EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Quad)
EK-Supremacy EVO Elite Edition - Intel 115x 1 pz 90,13 90,13 22
EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir 1 nr 45,04 45,04 22
EK-RES X3-Multiport TOP 1 pz 12,46 12,46 22
EK-Vardar F4-120ER (2200rpm) 4 pz 13,89 55,56 22
Phobya PWM 8x 4Pin splitter
DCB-FM01 Koolance Flow Meter Adapter With Display DCB-FM01
INS-FM19 Koolance INS-FM19 Coolant Flow Meter
MVR-PLT76 Koolance MVR Heat Transfer Plate, 76mm MVR-PLT76
MVR-40 Koolance MVR-40 (MB VReg)
BP-MBWP-C60 Bitspower G1/4 Matt Black IG1/4 Extender 15mm BP-MBWP-C60 2PCS
BP-MBWP-C63 Bitspower G1/4 Matt Black IG1/4 Extender 30mm BP-MBWP-C63 2PCS
BP-MBWP-C65 Bitspower G1/4 Matt Black IG1/4 Extender 50mm BP-MBWP-C65 2PCS

Items still to buy :
Hard Disk OS : Samsung 950 Pro
EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexy
Koolance Quick Disconnect BLACK Threaded 1/4G QD3-MSG4-BK 1 pcs
Koolance Quick Disconnect BLACK tube 10/16mm QD3-F10X16-BK 1 pcs
Bitspower 90° Rigid Tube 10/12mm - Black Matt BP-MBE90DML 4 pcs
Bitspower Compression Fitting for rigid tube 10/12mm - matt black BP-MBEML 10 pcs
Bitspower 90° rotatory M/F 1/4G 1/4G - matt black BP-MB90R 4 pcs
Bitspower Adapter 2 x 1/4G M/M - lungo - matt black 2 pcs
Bitspower 1/4G Q-Adapter 3x1/4G - matt black BP-MBQR-C 1 pcs
Bitspower faucet valve 2 x 1/4G (femmina) matt black BP-MVV-MBKBK 1 pcs
Bitspower Plug 1/4G matt black BP-MBWP-C06 4 pcs
Bitspower Crystal Link Rigid Tube 10/12mm - 500 mm 6 pcs
Mayhems Tubo Ultra Clear Tube 10/16mm (Just to fill the system) 1 pcs

Now as you can see there are only few parts to complete the system, following the suggestion of some user and also because i like the look, i decided to follow the rigid tubing,
I will attempt to use the tubing only for straight paths without any bending, and i will use the 90° fittings to do it.

1. I also bought MVR-40 Koolance MVR-40 (MB VReg) + MVR-PLT76 Koolance MVR Heat Transfer Plate, 76mm MVR-PLT76 this waterblock is for Mosfet but i want to adapt it to the Samsung 950 Pro, i checked most of the waterblock from many manufacturers and i think this could be one of the best to this job.
The only issue will be probably to make a custom lock system to tighten it to the drive.

2. I also think i will not use the Indigo Extreme thermal compound because the reflow procedure is a little bit odd, and it also require to put the system horizzontally and my doubt is what happen to the liquid? Anyway i have some Noctua Thermal compound and i will start with it.

3. Do you guys think that the fittings, the tube are good enough? Are the fine to make this loop? Are the BP-MBEML fittings compatible with EK-Supremacy EVO Elite Edition?

4. I also followed your suggestion about the fans so i bought the EK-Vardar are they ok?

Cheers to everyone!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts