Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this **** is driving me crazy! I just went through hell trying to get my last computer to work and after I got this new set which consisted of a new case, mb, processor, power supply it's giving me hell.

I plugged everything in by the book and everything is brand new. I had trouble initially getting the power to come on but after I reseated some of the ram and changed it then it came on, but only without the 4+4 pin cpu power connecters on.

I reseated the processor, removing the thermal and re applying it and still no luck. I tried using different power outlets and even unplugging the power cable. I tried plugging only 4 in and in different parts of the 8 pin slot. When the cords are not plugged in the PC will turn on, blue led's will light and the processor / video card fans will spin, but of course nothing will come on the screen and there will not be a beep for sucessful boot.

If someone can help me out that would be great! I've already googled it and nothing similar. All components are brand new!

·
Registered
135 Posts
First, make sure your motherboard is correctly mounted to the case. Your motherboard should be mounted using the standoff screws. Make sure the exposed metal surfaces of your motherboard aren't coming in contact with the case.

If that doesn't work, I'd check to see if your power supply is providing the correct voltages. If you have a multimeter you can do this yourself.

1. Remove power supply from your computer
2. Short out pin 15 and 16 on your 24 pin connector with a wire or paperclip to turn the power supply on manually (http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF)
3. Using a multimeter check to see if your voltages are correct and match up with the diagram. You can use any COM pin as ground.
4. Check the voltage on the CPU pin connector also. It should be 12 volts. http://www.mangione.com.br/upload/cablemod2.jpg

·
Registered
458 Posts
dont rma yet, check standoffs, you might have been so excited to build it that u just screwed the mobo down.... make sure u have the copper stand offs screwed in... their bronze colored and screw in before you screw the mobo down, the mobo screws then go into these standoffs

·
Registered
458 Posts
i dont get what he means by it worked without them then....

how does a cpu boot with no power to the cpu? the short might only happen with the power to the cpu, depending on where the mobo is touching the case correct?

dont mean to discredit you but i once got build happy and skipped standoffs (was comp-less for months) and my fans and lights would boot for a second but that was it...

·
Registered
458 Posts
also i got modular cables mixed up from a diff psu which made a lot of difference for me....

that cost me a hdd, heh damn cables were identical besides small thumb grips to securely plug them in

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
make sure the PSU is turned on with the back switch on the back of it
do the standoff thing everyone else was talking about
Edit: Also make sure everything is compatible, double check if all cables are connected to where they are suppose to be...........if absolutely nothing is happening then most prob the PSU or mobo are defective or else you would hear some sort of noise or beeping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, i do realize that I forgot to put the standoffs. I'm new to building pcs and I have made a lot of mistakes previously and I accidently screwed the mb right into the case. I'll look for the standoffs in my stuff

And when I meant it powered on, I don't mean it booted up. The leds lit up and the cpu fan spun and some other stuff spun, but I did not get any display.

Did I mess anything up? Would it have ruined the product by not putting these things in first?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys I think i remembered the case not coming with those. If I remember correctly there was a part in the case where the cpu spot sunk down. Or do the stand offs go everywhere around the motherboard?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh how silly! It worked!!!!! Sorry for the stupidity people! Thanks soooooooooooooooooo much!

·
Registered
458 Posts
ok no worries... hopefully, the stand offs should be with your case. the go into the screw holes where u already had put the mobo in so u gotta take that out first.

then put the mobo onto the stand offs then screw it down to those. doing what you did can cause damage but you'll prolly be ok

http://kona0197.files.wordpress.com/...8/standoff.jpg

link is a pic of standoff so you know what your looking for

1 - 14 of 14 Posts