Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am getting a new PC - Intell P4 3G on a Gigabyte Grantsdale MB with 1G ram (533)

Things are a little differnet here in South Africa - we dont have access to the great prices available in the USA! My choice is based on a budget. I can get the following for approx. the same price - Gigabyte 256MB 6800GT, Gigabyte 256MB x800Xl - both cards cost ~R2500 ($360).

I am tending towards the 6800GT but am concerend that is is discontinued - this will hinder my apgrade path to bye a 2nd unit in 12 months time? Will the Radeon also be discont in the future?

I checked egg - but they dont ship internationally - who does?

The forum states that the 6800GS is good value but here there is only a diff of R200 ($28)

What to do What to do - I would like the 7800Gt but its R3800 ($542) here - crazy stuff...

Thanx

·
Registered
824 Posts
Heh. You must have laws like Brazil there.

I just imported 1,200 units worth $400..
The taxes on import? $400 each.

Wooooo.

If we manufactured in Brazil, of course, no tax. (We are working on that but this was just pilot projects...)

India is easy to import to. China is a PAIN IN THE BASS!!! We actually manufactured something in Shenzhen to be shipped to Beijing.. And it got stuck in **customs**
Russia is not too bad. We won't ship to France because we got tired of guessing on their "encryption law of the month". I really like the ex-east block countries - Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, etc.. Been very good working in those countries.

Strange systems going on around out there I say.

Edit:

Oh, get Gigabyte 256MB 6800GT.

At least SLI is known

·
Registered
191 Posts
id go with 6800gt, becuase i had one and it was great until i broke it.
what do u mean discontinued? like discontinued in africa? because they still make em.

·
Registered
764 Posts
they are only being Discontinued for AGP as far as i know, they will stick on PCI-ex to my knowledge and www.komplett.com work all over the world, again as far as i know, and it should redirect you to where you need to go. if i find out more ill get back to you

·
Registered
213 Posts
He thinks that because the 7 series GeForces are out now it automatically means that the 6 series become redundant. Not true m8ty
not everyone can afford a 7800 so im sure the 6800 will be around for a while to come, besides its the second most powerful nvidia gaming card... heck they are still making 6600GTs it'll be around for a while dont worry.

·
Registered
764 Posts
damn sorry i think www.komplett.com is only europe check it but sorry anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanx for the info guys...

Great news - i managed to fing XFX 7800Gt with for R2999 ($430) all inclusive i.e. $70 more than what i could get the gigabyte 6800GT. I would think i'd be crazy not to go for it???

Next question - Should i go with a "8I945P-DG - Gigabyte "Lakeport" MB and P4 3G CPU" combo or the K8N-PRO-SLI Gigabyte nForce4 MB with AMD 64 3500+ ???

what would you say - I'l slap 1G of DDR2 667 Ram iether combo.

Cheerz

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Id say get the 7800 and AMD combo, but you will not be able to run ddr2 as AMD does not support it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts