Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just received my new phenom today, I updated my bios to the latest and its recognized as unknown cpu. In vista under device manager it shows all 4 cores, but in task manager it only shows 2 cores. Any Ideas?

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Strange.

Does CPUz read it right?

Did you install windows before or after the BIOS update?

I really dont know off of the top of my head, but hopefully we can all figure this out.

Good luck man

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just switched the processor with my previous windows install. Its both the bios and windows that recognizes it as a unknown cpu. This is really frustrating.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Did you clear the CMOS?

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes cmos has been cleared, I really dont know what to do. DFI states there recent bios release will support new amd processors.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Glad to see you got your new toy!

Try taking the processor out and then clearing the bios?

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
use the 2nd latest bios then.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But the bios is seeing the processor as a unknown one. This is most likely causing the issues.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by logan View Post
Here is someone with a similar problem.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=287947

Sounds like its an issue with windows, and a fresh install should fix it.
I agree with the fresh install recommendation. I tend to reinstall Windows when I place new hardware in my PC (only really applies to motherboard, hard drive containing the install, and cpu). Hope that works out for you.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwgti View Post
But the bios is seeing the processor as a unknown one. This is most likely causing the issues.
BIOS wont recognize it either? I guess I misread the OP... sorry about that.

Then do what gerikoh said, and try the BIOS just previous to the one that you are using (hopefully that one supports PhII as well).

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well just got off the phone to dfi, and they have no clue. They say the recent bios should allow for phenom 2 usage. There going to get back to me in the morning as they have to talk to support in taiwan. WHAT A FREAKIN JOKE.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Well just got off the phone to dfi, and they have no clue. They say the recent bios should allow for phenom 2 usage. There going to get back to me in the morning as they have to talk to support in taiwan. WHAT A FREAKIN JOKE.
on the upside, at least they answered...

Let us know how it goes, and if they have any additional ideas. I'm interested in seeing what fixes this.

Good luck

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Quote:

You should have asked when the next BIOS update for that board will be. And maybe hold out 'til then. Probably be fixed in the next one.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by logan View Post
on the upside, at least they answered...

...and so quickly. Way to go DFI!

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
good news all, dfi released a bios update, what a coincedence and now the phenom is recognized and working. DFI ROCKS!!!

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well now I got it working, the attachment shows where Im at as far as overclocking. I want to push higher, so any suggestions to change on the htt link or nb frequency? There both at the same speed.
LL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts