Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 2737 Posts

·
Administrator
13,642 Posts
*THREAD NO LONGER MONITORED. PLEASE SUBMIT ALL BUGS & REQUESTS HERE*

Hey all, let me reintroduce myself, my name's Kyle I'm part of the community relations team here with VerticalScope, I'd also like to introduce some members of my team who will be helping make this process as smooth as possible.
Lee, Jeff, and Philip. We will all be around to help answer your questions

Now you may notice some features are not back online yet, we are still getting those configured properly but wanted to let you back into your community as soon as possible.

How we got here:

Chipp said:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/over...tion/1645790-overclock-net-chapter-three.html

We know all has been very quiet on the community and platform side of things for some time now - during this quiet period we've been quite busy behind the scenes, and have some big news to share about the next chapter for Overclock.net.

In early 2017, the Huddler platform we currently run the community on was officially declared end-of-life. This kicked off a search for us: we needed to find a new software platform to run the site, and all options were on the table. After exhaustive discussions with potential partners, we decided that the best approach for the community was for us to not only find a new software platform, but a new ownership group as well.

I'm pleased to announce that Overclock.net will be joining the VerticalScope, Inc family of communities effective immediately. If you're not familiar with VerticalScope, discussion forums are what they do - and their team supports some of the largest names on the web. We'll be joining their growing portfolio of technology forums backed by VerticalScope's platform and community support, and gain access to their development, content, and advertising teams.

In addition, this news means we will be migrating to VerticalScope's VBulletin-based software platform. It is modern, one of the industry standards, and will be fully supported by teams of developers and infrastructure / operations folks from the VerticalScope side. Many of our longtime members and staff will remember VB as having been our original software platform, though we'll soon be running a better-supported and more modern version of the tools we were acclimated to in the somewhat distant past.

What will be changing?

On the community side, initially very little - VerticalScope's philosophy is to work with communities which generally already work, so all of our existing team will be staying onboard in their existing roles. ENTERPRISE, The Manual, myself, and all of our other volunteer moderators, editors, and event staff will still be here as we work through this transition and beyond. In time, we'll be joined by additional faces from the VerticalScope (VS) community and technical teams, and these folks will be introduced appropriately when that time comes. As VS puts it, they are "primarily here to make sure the lights stay on". We are very much continuing to steer our own ship as a community, with expanded support from one of the biggest names in the industry.

On the platform side, quite a lot of change is coming - and very soon.

At approximately 7am Pacific time on Tuesday, January 21st, the website and forums will be placed into maintenance mode while the transition from the Huddler platform to VBulletin takes place.

This migration process is anticipated to take at least 18 hours, but we will be communicating status as the day goes on via social media. If you don't yet follow @overclocknet on Twitter or Overclock.net on Facebook, you may wish to take a moment to do so now so you can continue to see the latest updates. When we come back online, it'll be full-speed-ahead on VBulletin. When we come back up, we'll have discussion areas waiting for you to experiment with new features, ask questions and get help, or report any bugs or technical issues you encounter. The team has performed several other migrations of Huddler-platform sites into the VS technology stack, so they have plenty of experience with this kind of transition.

We can't wait to welcome you into 2018 by welcoming you into a new chapter for Overclock.net, and welcome your questions as we conduct the final prep for the big migration day. This will be a big year for the community, and we're thrilled to have you all along for the ride with us. Stay tuned for Chapter Three.
So take a look around, explore, and let us know what you think and what you're curious about!

Have a question about how a new feature works, where an old feature went, or just otherwise need some help using the new software? Check out the Platform Support Forum: http://www.overclock.net/forum/forum-platform-help-discussion/

Any new bugs not mentioned here:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/3-ov...ch-list-bugs-errors-request.html#post26579201

Please post here so I can track, follow up with, and confirm with users:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/17791-submit-bug-report/

Thanks!

·
Like a fox!
2,793 Posts
Welp.. my secondary computer for web browsing has been my ivy bridge core i5 quad core chip using intel integrated graphics.. I had no problem browsing the site before, and now just scrolling up and down the page causes the entire CPU to run 60% - 80% cpu usage.

Good job, you've made the site so slow I physically can not browse it without upgrading my computer.

·
PC Evangelist
47,675 Posts
Looks like it will take a while before eveything fits in its original place.

·
Premium Member
22,005 Posts
Hey all,

Welcome back!

This is the first public debut of this version of OCN!

There will be things we need to fix. Please help us out - when you provide feedback, tell us:
- what you expected to happen
- what actually happened
- a URL we can use to reproduce your issue
- any special steps required to reproduce your issue

This will help us make sure our documentation of any migration-related issues is complete and actionable for the dev team.

There may be some residual... funkiness as background jobs compute indexes, generate previews, etc. Please give about a day for things to really settle in and get up to full speed.

Have a question about how a new feature works, where an old feature went, or just otherwise need some help using the new software? Check out the Platform Support Forum: http://www.overclock.net/forum/forum-platform-help-discussion/

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Can't go to last-read post in subscriptions

Maybe things are still updating, but it appears that I can't click on my subbed threads to take me to the last post I read. When I click the chevron looking icon, it takes me to last read post from weeks ago.

• Rep+
Reactions: Questors and v1ral

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
Hey all,

Welcome back!

This is the first public debut of this version of OCN!

There will be things we need to fix. Please help us out - when you provide feedback, tell us:
- what you expected to happen
- what actually happened
- a URL we can use to reproduce your issue
- any special steps required to reproduce your issue

This will help us make sure our documentation of any migration-related issues is complete and actionable for the dev team.

There may be some residual... funkiness as background jobs compute indexes, generate previews, etc. Please give about a day for things to really settle in and get up to full speed.
Why they felt the need to change anything..? It was perfect like it was.. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/AVSForum/icons/post_face_sadsad.png

Now it looks all weird and i can't find anything.. Hope its getting resolved soon.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,528 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Jellystab

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
The homepage is a bit sparse. The News and Recently Active sections were great.

·
AMD fan
1,637 Posts
main complaint is the home page is just one long read of all the active threads on the site, would much rather have the old layout of 10 most recent news threads and then the 10 from the rest of the forum.

·
Bigger is Always Better
1,120 Posts
Agree that the homepage is really sparse. I know it's early but it's saying that I don't have permission to access the for sale section. On the plus side I was able to login

edit: I also was trying to search the appraisal section and received this message

connection to sphinx01:3312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)

·
Ex-resident Kinzu shill
2,074 Posts
Clicking "Mobile" at the bottom of the page to change the layout and then clicking "Desktop" after you've done so does not change it back to Desktop layout and also resets multiple User CP settings (time zone and DST settings are the two I noticed.), everything, in general, is way too large, and navigation is clunky with the inability to mark your Subscriptions as read (as far as I saw) and no easy click to subforum from the Subscriptions tab anymore. Where has the smiley button gone?

·
Like a fox!
2,793 Posts
I expected to continue using the site daily as I had been before, or at least in some capacity.

What's actually happened: The conversion has converted this site in to the next in the line of "extremely script-heavy websites" now.. some of you should look at any random OCN page with the ublock origin sniffer now and just watch the sheer amount of crud they pull in from at least 30 different 3rd party outside websites just to browse the forums now. Seriously.. I counted at least 5 different "Tracking and user metrics" websites alone to track our browsing history and what we're doing on OCN now.

This is just sad, and depressing. This used to be a nice website to come to for tech information. *sigh* I'm probably not alone here but.. Seems it's finally time to go disable notifications for the website and never return and mark this as another script-heavy site to avoid browsing for the future.

·
Let's Launch Over It!
375 Posts
Not gonna lie, it's ugly and seems to have even larger ad sections with more "clickbait" blocks than I remember.

The news block is a vital part of Overclock.net, the thing where you see both the news and recent articles on the front page. Without that, this website is missing one of the main reasons I even came here - I'd defer elsewhere if there are no plans to reincorporate this.

Another weird glitch, I just posted this and the post said it was edited (I'm guessing not by a mod, but by another member,) if you click the link, it goes to an "invalid link" error message.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,888 Posts
No access to the Marketplace. Was told I did not have permission. I imagine that you guys are still working on it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Net Prowler
1 - 20 of 2737 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.