Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, I tried installing a new power supply (600 watt cosair gs) and as soon as I booted up I get past the bios screen then I get a black screen with a flashing white cursor, and it doesn't go anywhere. I then went and tried to put my old 850 watt power supply back in and I got the same flashing cursor, keep in mind this 850 watt power supply was working fine before. I was trying a new one because I suspected the 850 watt one to be faulty because I cant run a gtx 460 on it but I can run a gtx 8800. Both are high qulity cosair power supplies.

Any help would be appreciated, do I have to reformat or is there something else I can do? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Well, first before running an sfc, I would recommend resetting the CMOS, forgot to mention that. If that does nothing, then boot into safe mode with command prompt. Once in safe mode, open up CMD and type sfc /scannow

After it is done, restart and try and boot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can now say, I can't even boot into safe mode
frown.gif
Gonna wait a little bit to see if anyone else comments, if not I'll have to reformat.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Interesting. I'd say trying a CMOS reset just to see, you know? Also, if you have the Windows disc, you can run a repair and see if that helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have windows disc, could you give me the instructions on how to repair the hd? I've never repaired an hd before, thanks. (And btw, I'm on a laptop troubleshooting, thanks for helping me)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
hmm make sure you plug in everything correctly, the main motherboard 24pin and the 8/4 pin mobo one too
i dun think its your HD just yet

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkeyprince View Post

hmm make sure you plug in everything correctly, the main motherboard 24pin and the 8/4 pin mobo one too
i dun think its your HD just yet
Gonna check now, but i'm almost 100% sure everything is plugged in. edit: I have Windows xp

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxadus View Post

Gonna check now, but i'm almost 100% sure everything is plugged in.
1. Check 8 pin CPU and 24 pin Motherboard ports and make sure they are in properly
2. Reset CMOS
3. Repair install with your Windows 7 disc

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxadus View Post

I have windows disc, could you give me the instructions on how to repair the hd? I've never repaired an hd before, thanks. (And btw, I'm on a laptop troubleshooting, thanks for helping me)
You're most certainly welcome
smile.gif

To repair Windows with the disc, simply insert it into the tray and boot from the DVD, like you were to install Windows. Once you've booted onto the disc, select your language and click next, then choose the "Recovery" option, and work from there.

To reset the CMOS( which I highly recommend you try before repairing Windows to see if this solves it), simply read your motherboard manual (because every mobo is different as far as CMOS goes.) Usually it's as simple as moving the jumper from pins 1-2 to 3-4 for 10 seconds, and then moving it back to 1-2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts