Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new power switch for my computer. I was looking at the VL System Touch One but I was wondering are there any other options? I don't need any fancy features, just something that turns my computer on and off.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Could you post a picture of your case? Also, do you want to put a new button where the existing one is or what?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You mean like this? And how the hell do you use it, Burn?

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
That one looks like it isn't SPST...maybe DPST. Would that one work out? Does it have to be momentary? I am thinking it doesn't have to be in order to work...just needs the interuption, right?

To use that one you would have the two leads that go to the mobo set up with one going to the center terminal and the other to one of the others...I think. Use a multitester to check the continuity.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

That one looks like it isn't SPST...maybe DPST. Would that one work out? Does it have to be momentary? I am thinking it doesn't have to be in order to work...just needs the interuption, right?

To use that one you would have the two leads that go to the mobo set up with one going to the center terminal and the other to one of the others...I think. Use a multitester to check the continuity.

A Multitester, huh? What if I just flick it on and off... that'd be a good test, methinks.

I'll try it and let you know. If it doesn't work, you may never find out.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKraken

A Multitester, huh? What if I just flick it on and off... that'd be a good test, methinks.

I'll try it and let you know. If it doesn't work, you may never find out.

lol risky buisness....

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
True, simple trial and error will work as well since either it turns on or nothing happens, but since I have a couple testers laying around I find it easier to just check the switch before hand.

If you have the right clips for the terminals on the switch it should be easy to change from config to config. I would just say make sure the rig is unplugged before changing them if the first one doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

True, simple trial and error will work as well since either it turns on or nothing happens, but since I have a couple testers laying around I find it easier to just check the switch before hand.

If you have the right clips for the terminals on the switch it should be easy to change from config to config. I would just say make sure the rig is unplugged before changing them if the first one doesn't work.

I don't have any testers...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Wahoo! I looked at the website and it says it's a " SPST " style switch, so... game on, w00t w00t!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cokker

What about a doorbell? lol like this!

LMAO!! I'd never go to that house.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
If you want some cool switches, take a look at the Bulgin Vandal series. Those are cool. Momentary push-button style, built in LED for power or HDD indication. Plus, they're certified for use in hostile environments (in case you get in a lockdown situation where you need to arm some uber-cool weapons system while gunmen are having a firefight in the room).

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Exactly. There are 3 prongs, 2 that connect/ turn on the switch, the other a ground. I *believe* the two outside ones are hot/return, the middle a ground, but that's inferring, I'm guessing here. Wire the hot/return wires up, leave the ground unwired, or if you're feeling safe, ground it to the case.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laboitenoire

If you want some cool switches, take a look at the Bulgin Vandal series. Those are cool. Momentary push-button style, built in LED for power or HDD indication. Plus, they're certified for use in hostile environments (in case you get in a lockdown situation where you need to arm some uber-cool weapons system while gunmen are having a firefight in the room).

Here's the link: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/ele70.html looks cool!

Hey how about a keyed switch like on a car--I've gotten them at the auto parts store before--they have several positions--one is momentary and is springy--it'd be like starting your car--you could connect the other positions to your lights, or if water cooled to the pump so that it fires up the loop before starting the PC...plus it would limit access to keyholders.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts