Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, first of all my specs are in my profile so check that out first

I bought a new system and basically ported my old CPU over, knowing it would be a bottleneck

So I've been payed (I get paid monthly)

I can order a new chip..and I want one...want to spend about $650 AUS and flog my old one off on ebay

So what's a good bang for buck,

I really wanted to wait for a 1066 version, but I'm not forking out for an extreme edition just yet, i'll wait until more 1066's..my fsb can take it (p5nd2-sli-deluxe)

also with my 3.0 what should i set my voltages too, etc it can take 4.01 without modifying vcore, etc .. is 1.525 safe? plus there are other settings im not familiar with, yet

so this is really a two part question

what CPU should I look at, was maybe thinkin a 3.6 presler? I do want one that gives good known overclocks, reliable consistantly...

and how far can i volt my cpu at the moment, i can go really high like 2.0

ps: ram is still 1:1 (ddr2, that's 2:1 in CPU-z but i think that's right?) cheers guys..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep that's the one i was looking at - thanks for that, I think msy (pc shop in aus for all the US ppl) are similar prices too and easier to get too

they overclock well?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
From what I've heard you should get at least a 600MHz overclock.

Seems like an Average Intel overclock, but trust me with that CPU, you won't need the speed difference, but it'll be worth trying to see how far you can get. Depending on cooling I say 600-800MHz.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
I have a P4 630 3.0GHz @ 4.02GHz that I built for my wife with a ASUS P5AD2-E Premium motherboard. Running on the 1066fsb and all voltages stock. Ram is value DDR2 running cleanly at 4-4-4-10 @ 711MHz. Now the 3.0 @ 4.0GHz with a fsb of 1066 is running as fast as a a 3.6 @ 4.2 so you may wish to go this route.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=69745

I don't really see a need for dual core considering that HT works pretty well and 90% of the apps out there do not make use of dual core. However, if you want to spend the money, go for it

R

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Yeah!

Why not overclock the 3.0........That's what the 31 stage-pipes are for, so you can jam more clocks into them.

Although the only major problem I see is that the 3.0 is running on an nForce 4 chipset which is crap for OC'ing but then again if you could squeeze at least 235fsb (from 3.0 to 3.5) it would be a little improvement.

Then again, I wouldn't worry about a new CPU for that MoBo, specially since that it seems you're not going for SLI (when you have an ATI vidcar), I would put my money on a P5WD2-Premium and a Swiftech H20 kit and take that 3.0 all the way upto 4.0.......maybe along the road you may want to consider a CrossFire set-up and all you'd have to do is get a Master CF Card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts