Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a P4 3.2 simply to overclock the boll*cks off it.
Should i go with a Prescott or a Northwood?

It'll be running under a XP-90 with Tornado, on an Abit IC7 mobo

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the differenfce in the size of cache, i also read somewhere that the Prescott has SSE3 or something?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also heard that the prescott has a smaller _something or other_ that means it might go higher in overclocks?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE

Hey i run on a northwood and its bloody excellent because it runs 15gegrees cooler than a prescott so northwood is ideal for overclocking and northwood has better hyper threading to.

PLZ REP ME UP IF I HELPED YOU

I agree with this opinion, I am running a Prescott 3.0 which I won't overclock because teh stock temps are too high in my opinion. hte L2 cache helps but should not be the deciding factor.

Go with the Northwind.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i go with the prescott. you can get a higher overclock than a northwood. the higher temps arnt bad becasue the cpu can run the higher temps. its not bad its just different. you can oc preatty high on stock voltage so there wouldnt be a huge jump in temps. plus the prescott does better in games like doom3 where the higher cache is acctually used

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE

Well i cant think wot it could be but the thing is that prescott and northwood are quite simmiler but northwood is a much better performer all round

I disagree. I have owned many Northy's and a few Pressy's. I love the Prescotts. Sure they run hotter, but they are designed to. And where do you get "northwood is a much better performer"???? Prescotts have longer pipelines, and they oc better. The average oc of a Prescott is higher than the average Northwood core. In benchmarks, Northwoods SLIGHTLY outperform Prescotts up the about 3.6ghz. Above 3.6 is where the Prescott really starts to shine. Also, from my experience, the extra cache helps a lot, especially in games. All of my Prescotts seem to run much smoother than the Northwoods I have owned. They just seem less "jerky" when switching from app to app. IMO go with a Prescott.

• Rep+
Reactions: Crash

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
And just to clarify, Prescott's hyper threading is an improvement over that used in the Northwood core. I say Prescott, too, if your cooling is good, or you plan on investing in WC or better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts