Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit here, bored and waiting for my mprime test to enter its 8th hour, I wanted to float an idea past you folks.

We should really set up a chart of CFM vs dBA of quality fans. I'm new to this sub-forum so don't think I'm just here to make more work for the regulars.

The two numbers are pretty much on opposite ends. The more air a fan moves, generally the louder it gets. It's very easy to go to a site like FrozenCPU or NewEgg and find fans that either have low noise or high CFMs. I feel like people like me who want the best of both worlds are neglected.

As I'm looking at fans, I'm thinking I don't need them silent but then again, I don't want a loud 50dBA+ fan either. There has to be the best of both worlds fan.

What I would like to do is start compiling a list where average users can go and look for their perfect fans. Maybe give them an option of sacrificing a few less CFMs for a few more dBAs or vice-versa. Maybe set them up as lowest ratios so people can get a real comparison.

It's just an idea I had. I'm wondering what you guys thought.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
It's difficult to measure the true sound rating, because there are so many variables such as distance from the fan, fan isolation level, measurement equipment, etc.

Any kind of a database or list (especially a user-contributed one) would be even more prone to these kinds of issues. And if you're not going to do it entirely scientifically and uniformly, then you're reliant on subjective opinions of 'loud' or 'quiet.'

The best bet is to find one particular site with comprehensive reviews of various fans, and compare results from within that limited set. Anything else turns into an apples to oranges comparison.

SPCR has some great information when it comes to fans and fan noise levels / performance:

Quote:

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Nah man, get a Delta. MAN UP NANCY!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man View Post
It's difficult to measure the true sound rating, because there are so many variables such as distance from the fan, fan isolation level, measurement equipment, etc.

Any kind of a database or list (especially a user-contributed one) would be even more prone to these kinds of issues. And if you're not going to do it entirely scientifically and uniformly, then you're reliant on subjective opinions of 'loud' or 'quiet.'

The best bet is to find one particular site with comprehensive reviews of various fans, and compare results from within that limited set. Anything else turns into an apples to oranges comparison.

SPCR has some great information when it comes to fans and fan noise levels / performance:
Second this. SPCR freaking rules. I know there are tons of guys who want a ton of air moving and that's awesome but I'd prefer (as the OP must too, I guess) that my computer NOT sounds like a freaking jet on take off. Thanks for saying it first sn0man! Also, CFM vs dBA might belong more in the Silent Computing subform here on OCN.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked around their site but not that long.

I'm not looking for silent. I'm looking for the best trade off. I'm going to make a list of fake stats and show you what I mean.

120mm Fans
Fan 1: 30dba 80CFM
Fan 2: 25dba 80CFM
Fan 3: 40dba 100CFM
Fan 4: 30dba 90CFM

Fans 2 and 4 are the best of the four. Someone who wants a quieter computer at the expense of air flow would lean towards Fan 2. Someone who wants more air flow at the noise expense would lean towards Fan 4.

That's what I'm trying to accomplish. There are a ton of fans on the market, even when you cross the low quality ones off the list. It's very confusing.

Basically what I want is a spreadsheet. Column A has the name. Column B has the dba level and column C has the CFM rate. If I want quiet, I'd sort by B and then C. If I want air flow, sort by C and then B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts