Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am using a 420w psu that came with my case. Should I get a new one if I buy a 7800GT? Is there anything wrong with this one? Is changing ur PSU a hassle?

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Is there a name on your psu? How many Amps on the 12v rail. If it is a no-name PSU I would recommend an upgrade regardless of the video card. As for changing it out, thats very easy to do.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
I recommend the Sunbeam Nuuo 550W if you ever decide to buy a new PSU.
It's more than enough to handle your system.
Nothing difficult about changing PSUs if you know how to use a screwdriver

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But dont you have to plug all of your cables back in?
EDIT: What would happen if I didnt change it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well yeah you have to plug all the power cords back in. However, that isn't that difficult, just remember what kind of plug was plugged in where. And the problem with running a system off of a power supply that does not have ample 12V rails, it may not power the system correctly or could even blow and take some of your components with it.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Yep you will have to do that. Take note where each cable is (make a drawing if necessary) before unplugging things.
Besides... you won't be able to plug most connectors unless you're doing it the right way.
Just don't force it.
If you feel you're really forcing it then it means you're most probably plugging it the wrong way or not all pins are aligned (on an IDE cable for example). Take your time when doing it.

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
there should be a sticker on the side of your PSU that tells ya the specs

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
so you see an "A" rating? under 12V

see the pic to see what I mean.....mine is 26A

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
or... you can just go for a 6800gs....which requires less power....

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evo

what are the minimum 12v+ rail for 7800gt

probably somewhere around 20-24amps.... nowadays u want no less than 24amps on the +12v rail...

·
Registered
260 Posts
because i order one i only have 18a 12v+ so ill have to buy a new psu do you think i could get away running the 7800gt for a week

1 - 20 of 29 Posts