Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from an email I sent to CoolIt Systems regarding the lack of Quad support (Moreso inquiring about if the possibility was feasible), and this was the response I got:

"Thank you for your interest in our cooling products.

You are right, the Eliminator is not capable (nor intended) to cool a quad-core processor. We will however be releasing a new revision of the Freezone that will be more than capable of handling the job. The current Freezone might even be able to do it.
"

I emailed him back yet again asking for some specs or whatnot and I'm sure he'll respond at some point; the rest of the email is just in regards to my situation (Asking what my current setup was - I guess to see if I had any hope of using one of the current Freezone or Eliminators)

I'm kind of looking forward to one that can - more - than handle a quad core.

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
current freezones can handle quads. if they make a better version, it'll be more than sufficient.
i hear they have units with 12 TECs already. couldnt find those anywhere though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he responded with some interesting news:

"I like they way you have built your machine, good components. I am pleased to let you know that the dreadful wait for a cooling system is over.

The Q6600 (2.4Ghz â€" 8MB) draws 105W of power. Our Eliminator is not deigned to handle that much heat but the Freezone is. However, if you really want to push the limit of that quad (which I understand to be a finicky overclocker) I would recommend our Freezone Elite (that is the second revision I was referring to earlier).

A couple of things to take into consideration: The Freezone mounts on either a 92mm or 120mm fan mount (with adapter). The Freezone Elite will only work with a 120mm fan mount. It is still a 6 TEC system but we have redesigned it to be more efficient. The Freezone is rated for 175W and the Freezone Elite is rated for 250W. Yes, that is a considerable improvement
However, it does require slightly more power to run. Max power usage is 72W vs 56W.

You can buy a Freezone pretty much anywheres online at various prices. Since the Elite has not been announced yet (its kindof a secret) you can only get it through us. If you are interested in it and want it immediately, I can send you pricing info. Or, you can wait for it to be officially released.

Either way, please let me know how you plan to proceed.
"

Very intriguing...

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyorik
View Post

Well, he responded with some interesting news:

"I like they way you have built your machine, good components. I am pleased to let you know that the dreadful wait for a cooling system is over.

The Q6600 (2.4Ghz â€" 8MB) draws 105W of power. Our Eliminator is not deigned to handle that much heat but the Freezone is. However, if you really want to push the limit of that quad (which I understand to be a finicky overclocker) I would recommend our Freezone Elite (that is the second revision I was referring to earlier).

A couple of things to take into consideration: The Freezone mounts on either a 92mm or 120mm fan mount (with adapter). The Freezone Elite will only work with a 120mm fan mount. It is still a 6 TEC system but we have redesigned it to be more efficient. The Freezone is rated for 175W and the Freezone Elite is rated for 250W. Yes, that is a considerable improvement
However, it does require slightly more power to run. Max power usage is 72W vs 56W.

You can buy a Freezone pretty much anywheres online at various prices. Since the Elite has not been announced yet (its kindof a secret) you can only get it through us. If you are interested in it and want it immediately, I can send you pricing info. Or, you can wait for it to be officially released.

Either way, please let me know how you plan to proceed.
"

Very intriguing...

Very good timing on Coolit's part
I've been intrigued by their products, but would like to hear one. I've grown to hate noisy computer components.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
How exactly is 72W of TEC that can move only 40-60w.... actually move a 120-200w load?

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

How exactly is 72W of TEC that can move only 40-60w.... actually move a 120-200w load?

Because it's a hybrid cooler... it uses 3 "steps"

It goes like this:

TOP>Heatpipe>fins
TEC
BOTTOM>heatpipe>fins

So basically the TEC cools the bottom "heatpipes" and heats the above heatpipe, making the "cool" air made by the tec being cooled by the hot with a fan, reducing temps.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX
View Post

Because it's a hybrid cooler... it uses 3 "steps"

It goes like this:

TOP>Heatpipe>fins
TEC
BOTTOM>heatpipe>fins

So basically the TEC cools the bottom "heatpipes" and heats the above heatpipe, making the "cool" air made by the tec being cooled by the hot with a fan, reducing temps.

You might be confusing CoolIt system with a TEC aircooler.

I thought a CoolIt was.... CPU -> waterblock -> water -> cooling chamber -> TEC -> heatsink

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

View Post

Hmm. Lord knows I have no idea. But I certainly want one. But by that same token, how did 56W accomplish 175W? It somehow did it...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyorik
View Post

Hmm. Lord knows I have no idea. But I certainly want one. But by that same token, how did 56W accomplish 175W? It somehow did it...

With a hot HS and loud fan while perform worse than top aircoolers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

View Post

With a hot HS and loud fan while perform worse than top aircoolers.

Details, details... I prefer to think it's magic.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, in a final email the price is revealed finally;

"Here is a formal quote. You can purchase any of these units individually or as a discounted package. If you have noisy 120mm fans in your case, you can replace them with ours. Keep in mind we will already be replacing one 120mm exhaust fan w/ the Elite.

*******************QUOTE************************** ********

1 Freezone Elite $400.00 (plumbed for 1 CPU)

1 MTEC Control Center 120.00

2 120mm Replacement Chassis Fans $30.00

Total $550.00

Package Price with fans $475.00

Package Price without fans $455.00

These prices reflect the suggested MSRP of the package.
"

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Ouch...You could build a decent 437W Pelt loop for that much...

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
somehow this sounds much more awesome, and personally id rather have one of those. probably stupid, cant help it.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

For 1/2 the price, you can get a great WC setup that would beat the CoolIt system by a few degrees.

For the same price, you can get a custom phase that would destroy the CoolIt by 30-50C.

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

View Post

For 1/2 the price, you can get a great WC setup that would beat the CoolIt system by a few degrees.

For the same price, you can get a custom phase that would destroy the CoolIt by 30-50C.

why is truth so sad :,(

but the freezone has like, pelts and stuff, and fits in your case completely, and looks cool, and doesnt draw as much power, and doesnt require condesation proofing (methinks). and.. [insert random fanboyism here]

but serious now, theres indeed a lot better out there. but i'd like to get my hands on one and see how its made.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

why is truth so sad :,(

but the freezone has like, pelts and stuff, and fits in your case completely, and looks cool, and doesnt draw as much power, and doesnt require condesation proofing (methinks). and.. [insert random fanboyism here]

but serious now, theres indeed a lot better out there. but i'd like to get my hands on one and see how its made.

For the money, I can build one that's better. It is a simple water loop with a few TEC chillers cooled by a heatsink.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thats what I said...
...I'm setting up a 437W rig right now...Then maybe a later a chiller to go with it....Phase doesn't seem like much fun to me....A 437W Pelt and chiller might not either after I start getting some electric bills for it....My 320W Pelt is costing me $15-20 bux a month the way it is....

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
For the money, I can build one that's better. It is a simple water loop with a few TEC chillers cooled by a heatsink.
i know. NVM. im not getting my point across, and im not going to try.

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
Thats what I said...
...I'm setting up a 437W rig right now...Then maybe a later a chiller to go with it....Phase doesn't seem like much fun to me....A 437W Pelt and chiller might not either after I start getting some electric bills for it....My 320W Pelt is costing me $15-20 bux a month the way it is....
if your motherboard has space enough, get 3 more of thsoe 320's and heavily undervolt them to have a combined Qmax of around 450W. would not raise your electricity bill by much, but you'd need like 10cm space around your socket ;p. yah, its crazy, i thought of it while half asleep. you'd need one hell of a WB too XD

(ignore my crazy ideas before you hurt yourself)

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
HaHa....You've never tried to insulate have you?..
...Its a pain with just 1 CPU block...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts