Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little new to the community and havn't owned a desktop since I had 7600GT's!
Been gaming on laptops ever since. I like to upgrade every 2 years or so. I game a lot! Gaming would be the main performance I would require for this desktop as I have 3 laptops for other things.

Currently what i'm envisioning is
Single GTX470
2 23' LG Wide Screens
8GB DDR3 1600 ram

The mobo will support SLI just in case I decide to spend more than I have planned. Now I have seen ram for i5 and for i7? So i'm hoping someone can fill me in on what I should go with. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
well... that ram should work on either CPU also it should work with AMD CPU's too... it's like labeling a memory stick with "works with windows 7"... well obviously it would work with 7/vista/xp/linux and mac and so on...

anyway what CPU do you plan on getting... i would recommend AMD.... because i have one

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Given the ram is not dividable by 3 I assume 1156?

i5 750 then, hands down. You do not need the i7 for gaming, there will be no difference.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Make sure you buy DDR3 for AM3 or 1156, don't buy DDR3 made for 775 as I've read it won't even post in AM3/1156 boards.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes, Core i7 does not really have benefit in gaming compared to Core i5 700 series.
The main reason is because the games does not utilize the second thread in Core i7, even GTA IV which use a lot of resource from CPU.
So, Hyper Threading Technology does not give real benefit in gaming. Even it have negative impact on the CPU because with Hyper Threading enabled, the CPU will use more power and produce more heat.
But if you use it for multithreaded application, Hyper threading will give benefit. It will increase your CPU productivity from 20-50% depends on the applications. But even without Hyper Threading, Core i5 750 is already fast enough to do any application. And you can always overclock the chip for better performance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
well... when i built my latest rig i had to choose between the Phenom II 955 or the i5 750, i chose the 955 because of the difference in price, i don't regret it... it's a great overclocker and in all the games i have played it has never been fully utilized, GTA IV gets a constant 100+ fps on lowest graphics (this eliminates the GPU as a bottleneck)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Well I am in disagrement with the pack here

triple channel and HT will hold benefits all be it very neglagable.

That being said I think as time goes by the more it will be a factor.

Things will move forward including game development. These deveolpments may find ways to utilize this unharnesed power, and when they do why get caught with out it.

i7 will also hold value better and as stated max out any multithereaded software you may find your self using

Remember when it was said dual channel makes no difference ...

It makes a difference and as time passes it will make a larger one ....

1156 is merly a 775 replacment ....

don'r get cuaght up in the past ...

Best of luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
using newegg i'm currently look at

Core i5 750
4GB DDR3 1333
500GB 7200 HDD
MSI Geforce GTX 470
LG 23' Widescreen display
Raidmax hurricane gaming case

comes out to 1,064.97

will add another 4gb of ram 107$-130$
Another HDD and another 23' LG Display

any suggestions on changes or things I should buy for it?

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Get DDR3 1600, it's the same price as 1333 (here).

Also I know the price is nice on that case, but do yourself a favor and pass.
There are better cases out there in the same price-range; this Silverstone is a good example.

Do you have a HSF? Didn't see anything on that either.

Lastly (and I believe this was already touched on), is the AM3 option:

I'd consider this as it seems 1156 (even 1366) are going to be left out for Sandy Bridge, but AM3 is still going to get Bulldozer in Dec. of 2010 / early 2011.
Granted if you don't care to upgrade within the year and just want to build now + hold the fort for a few years then it could be less of a deciding factor (though Thuban is still an option).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComaXO View Post
using newegg i'm currently look at

Core i5 750
4GB DDR3 1333
500GB 7200 HDD
MSI Geforce GTX 470
LG 23' Widescreen display
Raidmax hurricane gaming case

comes out to 1,064.97

will add another 4gb of ram 107$-130$
Another HDD and another 23' LG Display

any suggestions on changes or things I should buy for it?
well, ur gonna need a mainboard, for an 1156 build i would suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128409, for an AM3 build i would suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128441.. both boards are Crossfire compatible, but only the 1156 board is SLI compatible... there are AM3 SLI boards out there though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts