Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Honestly at that price and a lot of people here will mention it. Look in to an i7 Sandy Bridge build.

Also you forgot a good heatsink and fan so that you can overclock. Also some good thermal compound. If you arent going to burn any cds or dvds with this machine you will not need a cdrom really. You can install windows via usb.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being completely honest.. 700$ was the hard limit I was given and we are stretching by 30$ as is..

If someone wants to help me work out a sandy bridge and can keep the price the same or drop it.. great.

If not..I don't think the person I'm making it for is going to lose to much sleep over it not being sandy bridge..

Unless there is some serious bang for buck advantage with going sandy bridge I really don't want to spend any more on it.

*Edit*

Also this rig isn't going to be OC'd.

*edit again*

this *is* going to be used for a variety of things being programming, video games and a few other uses.. Although I doubt she is going to do a whole lot of video transcoding or what not..

And I am really doubting that going SB is really going to make the build last that much longer.

I mean besides bragging rights.. I really don't see a lot of perk for I7 SB.

Please correct me if I am wrong... I don't mind other opinions.. I am only calling it as I see it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX;14177425
swap cpu to 2600k
swap mother board to p8p67 pro
unless your going CF or SLI that PSU is too big
swap to 2x2GB ram kit. should be at or around the same price
CF or SLI is definitely an option she is looking at.

are we looking at any performance loss? triple vs. double channel memory?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
SB isn't triple channel, it works with dual. Yes, you can put a triple channel kit in and it will work, but NOT in triple channel mode.

Also, I am too lazy to look up sources but I saw benches between dual and triple channel and lol'd. There is minimal performance gain.
I'd say go for a 2x2GB or 2x4GB (overkill, i know) kit or look for a kit with better speed/timings

EDIT

Also, if you are not going to overclock, the 2600K will be a waste of money. You do not need the unlocked multiplier

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX;14177555
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11970549

2600k and p8p67 pro have a combo deal which will take $20 off, making it cheaper than the 2600 and putting final price at 701.94

EDIT: sandy bridge dual channel performs on par with nehalems triple channel
Cool. Also, why the p8p67 Pro? with no overclocking plans, wouldn't an H67 better for the wallet? Or better yet, a Z68? (If a cheaper one can be found that is. Looking around now)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by H969;14177708
If you live near a MicroCenter you could save another $30-40 on the cpu...
I'd spend 80$ in gas on it and I drive a fuel efficient car..

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklimitless;14177625
Cool. Also, why the p8p67 Pro? with no overclocking plans, wouldn't an H67 better for the wallet? Or better yet, a Z68? (If a cheaper one can be found that is. Looking around now)
H67 would be cheaper, but isnt ideal for SLI/CF

Z68 is more expensive
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
if its more a gaming rig you could drop to the 2500k instead

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian86;14177880
if its more a gaming rig you could drop to the 2500k instead
Considering that option heavily.. Started off as an i5 build actually figured we would check an i7 just to see what going "top of the line" would be like.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts