Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there today ive been building my new rig and after i was finished i wanted to test out everything but after i connected psu to power onlything that happened was that the lights on the mb started to shine. I have two lights on my mb one is just to light up mb model and the other is below gpu showing if the mb has power. The start button is not glowing nor does it start restart pc. Can you please help mu find the source ? Thank you

My rig:
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D ATX Full Tower Performance
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
2xHyperX FURY 8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
Corsair CP-9020092
Intel Core I7-6700K Processor
2xSsd
Gtx980TI

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Did you plug in the case leads to the motherboard properly? It doesn't look like that motherboard has a power button on the PCB itself, so try double checking the leads to what it says to do in the motherboard manual.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmuhhhh View Post

Did you plug in the case leads to the motherboard properly? It doesn't look like that motherboard has a power button on the PCB itself, so try double checking the leads to what it says to do in the motherboard manual.
This. This is pretty much the culprit every time, double check to make sure everything is plugged in correctly (+s/-s are all correct etc).

·
I miss my OCN!!
2,196 Posts
Before you put everything in the case did you try a dry boot, just hooking up the motherboard and cpu and cooler with a stick of memory before you put it in the case? I always do that first just to make sure its posts prior to a full install that way you can rule out any big issues before you have everything in.

Also did you make sure all of your motherboard offsets where fully screwed in on the case, could be causing a short.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
4/8 pin for cpu power plugged in?

Usually at the top of the motherboard.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlig View Post

4/8 pin for cpu power plugged in?

Usually at the top of the motherboard.
Done this a few times lol. If that doesn't work usually it's the Front Panel power / reset button and LED(s) not plugged in correctly.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
Which PSU do you have as its not listed in the OP.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello there guys thanks for all your suggestions, i checked everything and still nothing....

Disassembled everything and started from scratch:

1.reseted the CMOS = nothing
3.plugged in only 8 pin and 24 pin power cables with CPU,cpu fan, and the power button cables, 1 ram (tried all slots)
4.PSU is turned on ofc. (1>0)
5.i did try to connect my old case to the MB = no results
6.tried to use the old PSU = no results
7.tryed all variations of the case power button connections power sw / reset
8.checked all the screws
9.case had preinstalled stands so they are in order
10.CPU was placed correctly i always make really sure that im setting it in correctly
gently and slowly

Shilka

My PSU is Corsair RM750X.

Results

After all ive done i can only make light up the mother board logo
ligts and sound FX lighting plus a red light at the bottom, near
the USB pins and case power pins. When i pres power or reset button nothing happens
not even if i use screwdriver to connect those startup pins.

I think the board is done so im gonna ask for replacement, everything else seems in order
gpu glows, psu sents power to mb cause it glows and the problem only might be cpu or mb at least i think
any suggestions please ? meanwhile i will order an replacement since its old 2 days.

So far thank you all for your help and suggestions if anything else pops up
please let me know ! Thank you again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update 04/04/2016

I did receive my replacement and i did fallow all your advice's, I did get to the point where i booted to bios without any problems and everything was working fine but after i did shut down the pc to connect rest of my stuff (HD audio, USB 2.0) i did get an electrical tick again and the fans and lights went on for a fraction of second and afterwords the MB was just glowing and nothing was happening regarding booting, fans etc.

I do believe i did find the perpetrator i have two options and both are possible:

a, My stupidity ( i did put the HD audio from case to the COM connector on Mb for some reason (dunno why or if i truly did it) and this is causing the shortage.

b, The USB 2.0 and HD audio on MB are casing shortage after connected because of poor wiring.

Is it possible to fry the MB this way ? and also could the other parts be damaged as well or its just MB?

Hopefully 3rd times the charm and i will avoid any of these mistakes.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
Ralko

1 - 10 of 10 Posts