Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a router that is a Linksys Cisco E1500. I don't know how good of a router it is but I have found out it is only a 10/100 and not a Gig. That may be fine for the internet but it is not good enough for a network of 4 or more computers plus a NAS all working at the same time unless I am mistaken. I am looking for a new router for him that will be a gig. Unless I can just get the internet in and then run it into a gig switch. Will that bypass the router? I need a refresher on that. Thanks.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
A gigabit switch would work great. Just plug all the wired devices into the switch, including one of the ports on the router. Keep the modem plugged in to the router like it is now, and you will have wireless internet, and the router would share internet with all the PC's... while the PC's will be able to talk to anything else wired into the switch at gigabit speeds.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, it's not a cable modem. It is a wireless type system that comes in and just goes from the cable into the router so there is no modem. It's not DSL or cable or even fiber. Our rural area many years ago started something that they would beam the internet signal to distant places instead of running wire. I don't know how else to explain it other than that. Would the switch still work the same. The internet comes into the internet in port on the E1500. I would just run a cable into the switch and all would work as a gigabit system? Or just buy NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Gigabit Open Source Router/ USB port Rangemax???

·
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post

Okay, it's not a cable modem. It is a wireless type system that comes in and just goes from the cable into the router so there is no modem. It's not DSL or cable or even fiber. Our rural area many years ago started something that they would beam the internet signal to distant places instead of running wire. I don't know how else to explain it other than that. Would the switch still work the same. The internet comes into the internet in port on the E1500. I would just run a cable into the switch and all would work as a gigabit system? Or just buy NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Gigabit Open Source Router/ USB port Rangemax???
If you keep the current router, it doesn't matter how the internet gets to it.

Run a cable from any of the PC ports on the router to the switch and it will work great.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So getting a NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Gigabit Open Source Router/ USB port Rangemax won't make any difference in the world. Do you know if the Netgear has a better wireless than the Linksys Cisco E1500? Wireless is used a lot out there also. Thanks

·
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post

So getting a NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Gigabit Open Source Router/ USB port Rangemax won't make any difference in the world. Do you know if the Netgear has a better wireless than the Linksys Cisco E1500? Wireless is used a lot out there also. Thanks
I'm not sure which would have better wireless internet, but that would be the difference between your two options (add a switch for ~$20, or replace the router).

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can the E1500 even keep up anymore? He will have 4 desktops, 1 NAS, numerous iPads and even guest computers all on the same network.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts