Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
+ Wraith Prism
96.3 mm height. Case max is 82 mm. Also, the lower TDP of the 2700 serves me better in the ITX build.

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
I would be more tempted to only use M.2 storage and have the rest in NAS. Less clutter in an ITX build.
Spinning drives have no place within performance systems these days :p

·
Senior OCN Member
39,858 Posts
Drop the HP EX920 NVME drives unless you are working with stuff where the drive is the bottleneck its not going to be any faster or better then a drive using the AHCI protocole
NVME is not faster or better in Windows due to software limitations which means for most tasks they are a complete waste of time and money

You can get twice the storage space for almost the same money by going with an AHCI based drive such as the Samsung 860 Evo or the Crucial MX500
And you can get those in M.2 form if you really want that

And last if you really need a big HDD at least get a 7200 RPM drive like a Seagate Barracuda Pro or one of the bigger Barracuda drives

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be more tempted to only use M.2 storage and have the rest in NAS. Less clutter in an ITX build.
Spinning drives have no place within performance systems these days /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif
1 TB of nvme storage, 2TB on sata ssd, 5tb backup drive.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
96.3 mm height. Case max is 82 mm. Also, the lower TDP of the 2700 serves me better in the ITX build.
I see. My bad. As for storage? The HP Drives are not sold and shipped by newegg. Just pointing that out and for whats its worth. Consider 2 M.2 MX500 1TB. Or just get 3 2.5" 2TB MX500s. If you can fit them. Man that's a lot of storage!

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drop the HP EX920 NVME drives unless you are working with stuff where the drive is the bottleneck its not going to be any faster or better then a drive using the AHCI protocole
NVME is not faster or better in Windows due to software limitations which means for most tasks they are a complete waste of time and money
I plan on occasionally doing some video editing, faster reads will be useful.

You can get twice the storage space for almost the same money by going with an AHCI based drive such as the Samsung 860 Evo or the Crucial MX500
And you can get those in M.2 form if you really want that
I suppose I could pick up two of these instead of the newer HP EX920s as they are even cheaper than Sata 3 m.2 drives currently:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAFVF75G2953

And last if you really need a big HDD at least get a 7200 RPM drive like a Seagate Barracuda Pro or one of the bigger Barracuda drives
Trying to stick to 2.5" drives in the event I want to add a radiator later down the line. Otherwise, I would have gone with a 3.5" hdd.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,858 Posts
Video editing is not going to bottleneck the drive so again NVME is waste of money nor will it be able to take advantage of NVME speeds
NVME is pretty much only faster in synthetic benchmarks or if you are a Linux otherwise nothing can or does use the faster speeds NVME offers

NVME is marketing hype and a gimmick so you are throwing money away for no reason
As i said before if you are after an M.2 drive you can get the MX500 and 860 Evo in M.2 form

Edit: Here MX500 M.2 $110 US for 500 GB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...156177&cm_re=MX500_M.2-_-20-156-177-_-Product

1 TB is $200
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820156178

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Video editing is not going to bottleneck the drive so again NVME is waste of money nor will it be able to take advantage of NVME speeds
NVME is pretty much only faster in synthetic benchmarks or if you are a Linux otherwise nothing can or does use the faster speeds NVME offers

NVME is marketing hype and a gimmick so you are throwing money away for no reason
As i said before if you are after an M.2 drive you can get the MX500 and 860 Evo in M.2 form
Did some research since you posted this. I am thinking that I will return the NVME drives and pick up 2 TB WD Blue m.2 drives instead. Giving me a total capacity of 4 TB on m.2. This means I would also return the 2.5" ssd and stick with just the 5TB backup. Now a matter of whether I want to run these two drives in Raid 0 or not...

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that 5TB just going to backup your RAID 0 and SSD? Super slick build btw.

Yes. The 5 TB model is cheaper than the 4 TB model in this form factor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts