Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed xp a week ago on the drive in my profile (maxtor 300gig) and today I went to buy a new smaller HD for backup and such so I picked up a little 80 gig drive (seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3Gb/s ST3808110AS) It got picked up in bios, device manager and even HD tach so what do I have to do to get it listed in my computer so I can format it through windows and begin using it? It is connected on sata2 and is listed as 4th master respectively...

Thanks!

btw, this thing scored 234 on hd tach while my maxtor only got about 137, I probably should have installed the os in this thing!

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Use this tool to create a partition on the drive. It designed for seagate drives.

Seagate DiscWizard

I prefer using the middle one, its your choice

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im having the same trouble with a WD 160 gb pata drive, I thought that even if a drive wasn't formatted you could pick it up in windows and format it from there, or at least I remember something along those lines. So a hard drive definately has to be formatted, be it sata or pata, in order to show up in windows?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Thats right. Windows only sees the partition, not the drive. If it only saw the drive then if you had more than one partition on the disk, it would only show up as one. Give the drive a partition and format it once windows can see it. You can then use it to your hearts delight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks jester that clears everything up and that seagate program rocks!

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Your welcome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts