Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wanting a little help with my new sata hd drive. i have one now which just plugs into the ide channel so i want to do away with that one and just use my new one. how will i make an exact copy of my old hd drive. also will this copy all data in different partitions. thanks is advance.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
There are a few programs on the market that will take an extact snapshot of your hard disk. The best ones are:

Power Quest Drive Image
Symantec (Norton) Ghost

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
If you just want to copy data and not retain the operating system, you can keep both hard drives plugged in temporarily, install the OS on the new one. Copy files from old to new and then take out the old one.

• Rep+
Reactions: craigandlinz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by briank

If you just want to copy data and not retain the operating system, you can keep both hard drives plugged in temporarily, install the OS on the new one. Copy files from old to new and then take out the old one.

i'm wanting to copy operating system too. just an exact copy of everything. (boot sector,xp,all data). i've got norton ghost. what do i select?

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Ok, then definitely go with Ghost.

Its been a while since I used the program so I can't recall exactly what to do. I think you have Ghost on a bootable floppy though and you copy the drives that way.... Do a search on google and I'm sure something on Ghost will come up.

• Rep+
Reactions: craigandlinz
1 - 5 of 5 Posts