Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm building a new watercooled setup.

The setup consists of a chiller that keeps the water around ambient temperature (so as to avoid condensation). So the water temperature should be around 25 celcius, pretty much constant.

I have read around and it seems to be a bad idea to match non-plated with plated nickel waterblocks. Perhaps to make matters even worse, my chiller has a stainless steel container through which the water will flow.

So, the system I am considering, will consist of:

1. 1x EKWB Supremacy Intel waterblock (Nickel Plated, 3770K)
2. 2x EKWB Universal GPU Waterblock (Nickel Plated, 7970)
3. XSPC Z77X-UP7 chipset waterblock (Non-plated)

I probably have the option of removing the stainless steel container and installing an acetal based container.

So, in the eventual setup I will have a mix of stainless steel, copper and nickel plated blocks / materials. Is this a recipe for disaster?????

EK seems to have resolved the nickel plated issue. Any opinions to the contrary?

thanks. alex.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My used EN Nickle block I got recently for my 7970 has Nickle flaking in the VRM section. The seller opened the main block and it was fine but I checked the VRM area when I got it and say copper coming through. I would buy any Nickle crap from EK. That's asking for trouble. I wouldn't mix metals either, looks like stainless and copper would be an problem but I am not 100% on that. Really not too big a deal if you run corrosion inhibitors though I suppose. Just don't add aluminum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts