Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short my PC completely died. the 1155 mobo died, and when i looked at replacing it for a new board it is the same price as a Z170 board, and the 2nd hand computer market here (South Africa) is very poor.

So i ended up selling all the parts that worked that I would no longer need and am saving up to build a PC from scratch.

I have no PC, and am doing all my work (and no gaming) from my old SB i3 laptop with 4GB of ram.

So i obviously have the itch to just go ahead and buy some parts now so I can get a PC, but i want to hold out because I obviously want to get the very best for my money at that point in time.

Now the biggest question is:

Do I Purchase Broadwell-E?

Or do I hang on for a few months and purchase Skylake-E?

And if I should hang on for Skylake-E, why?

is there a new eta on skylake-e yet? Last I heard it was Q3 2016.

Any input would be grand.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
subbed

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deago999 View Post

So long story short my PC completely died. the 1155 mobo died, and when i looked at replacing it for a new board it is the same price as a Z170 board, and the 2nd hand computer market here (South Africa) is very poor.

So i ended up selling all the parts that worked that I would no longer need and am saving up to build a PC from scratch.

I have no PC, and am doing all my work (and no gaming) from my old SB i3 laptop with 4GB of ram.

So i obviously have the itch to just go ahead and buy some parts now so I can get a PC, but i want to hold out because I obviously want to get the very best for my money at that point in time.

Now the biggest question is:

Do I Purchase Broadwell-E?

Or do I hang on for a few months and purchase Skylake-E?

And if I should hang on for Skylake-E, why?

is there a new eta on skylake-e yet? Last I heard it was Q3 2016.

Any input would be grand.
Don't wait to buy hardware stuff unless the launch is imminent. It is pointless to wait because no matter what it will become outdated at a certain point.

We don't even know when exactly Broadwell-E will be launched, so don't worry about Skylake-E because it will come mid 2017 at least.

Go for Skylake or Haswell-E. Even Haswell is one of a hell platform nowadays.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,422 Posts
You got it mixed up Skylake-E is not untill 2017 or later its Broadwell-E thats out in Q3 2016.
If you have a need for a new system now buy a new system now, dont wait around if do that you will never get anything done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

You got it mixed up Skylake-E is not untill 2017 or later its Broadwell-E thats out in Q3 2016.
If you have a need for a new system now buy a new system now, dont wait around if do that you will never get anything done.
if skylake-e is only 2017, then shouldn't I wait for broadwell-E?
I read that broadwell-e was expected to be released in Q1 2016 (http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwelle-scheduled-launch-q1-2016-feature-8-6-core-skus-retaining-support-x99-platform/) (http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-e-production-in-2016/)

Skylake < Broawell-E ?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,422 Posts
Your info is out of date, lastest info is Broawell-E is Q3 2016 and Skylake-E is 2017/2018.
Haswell-E is what is out right now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - its why I think I have decided to hold off just until the release of Broadwell-E - That way I can compare it to skylake, (because higher speed often trumps multiple cores for gaming) so We shall see. Also not the biggest fan of the TIM problem Skylake has....

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
To be honest, if you can wait, Skylake E might be worth it. When do you need the system and what are you going to use it for?

Skylake E will be a few percentage points faster at most benchmarks. You can expect to pay a 5% or so penalty in maximum overclocking speed for the "E" series. However, I am expecting bigger gains for some application if they release AVX 512 for consumer usage and if 6 channel RAM is also released (as per the Purley leak). That would see much bigger gains for anything that used the latest instruction sets.

We expect a Q1 2017 release, but that presumes that there are no further delays on the 14nm process, which given the difficulties Intel has had, there could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deago999 View Post

Yeah - its why I think I have decided to hold off just until the release of Broadwell-E - That way I can compare it to skylake, (because higher speed often trumps multiple cores for gaming) so We shall see. Also not the biggest fan of the TIM problem Skylake has....
Skylake E is likely to be soldered, just like previous generations of HEDT CPUs.

I think it's likely that it will use 8 PCB layers as well, so we won't be faced with the bending issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts