Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well, I'm ordering a few parts for my 478 system now, I'd like to see what you guys think-

Specs are as such (and links provided if I have them)
CPU: 2.2ghz northwood (in my profile) 400mhz fsb.
Motherboard: MSI 865PE Neo2 PFS link
RAM: G Skill 1gb (2x512mb) pc3200, timings are 2-3-3-6 link
Video card: Sapphire Radeon x1600pro 256mb link
Cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon link (getting this for my new system pretty much...the one in may, so I'll have a good cooler while I wait on watercooling
)
Case: Taking suggestions...looking at the thermaltake soprano

The rest of the system (fans, cables, etc.) are odds and ends and I won't include them here.
Also if I have enough money left over, I'm going to buy a new cpu maybe, but this probably won't happen.
The total so far is about 385 without the case...if I've figured it up correctly, shipping and all.

So, tell me what you think!
I know its still a 478 system, but I want to wind this chip out for the hell of it.

Oh, and the case is going to be used in my upcoming pc "armageddon"- coming in may.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You have a nice system. 1gig of ram should be enough. But if you can afford it, 2 gigs runs so much faster. I noticed a big difference! Since you're running an AGP board, I'd recondmend the EVGA 7800GS. Very good AGP card and will be faster than the X1600pro. Well all know the best 478 processor is the 3.2 extreme! I used to run a 2.6 400mhz fsb before I got my 640 processor. I think I once got it to run at 3.4 on just the stock fan. It ran at like 60deg C under full load too! ha ha Those were the days intel was better than AMD. But I'm still a true intel fan! I think it's a good system over all. If you can afford it, the better vid card and maybe a little faster processor/or RAM in substitute. Unless you get the water cooling and tweak your 2.2!

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
If I were you I would save that money...no sense in dropping money into old technology. With 385 you could get a cheap skt939 mobo, a AMD64 3200, and a x1600pro/6600gt

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hailtothethief

You have a nice system. 1gig of ram should be enough. But if you can afford it, 2 gigs runs so much faster. I noticed a big difference! Since you're running an AGP board, I'd recondmend the EVGA 7800GS. Very good AGP card and will be faster than the X1600pro. Well all know the best 478 processor is the 3.2 extreme! I used to run a 2.6 400mhz fsb before I got my 640 processor. I think I once got it to run at 3.4 on just the stock fan. It ran at like 60deg C under full load too! ha ha Those were the days intel was better than AMD. But I'm still a true intel fan! I think it's a good system over all. If you can afford it, the better vid card and maybe a little faster processor/or RAM in substitute. Unless you get the water cooling and tweak your 2.2!

Don't you think his system might bottleneck? A 7800GS mixed with a 2.2ghz CPU.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatal05

If I were you I would save that money...no sense in dropping money into old technology. With 385 you could get a cheap skt939 mobo, a AMD64 3200, and a x1600pro/6600gt

I'm getting a new super awesome system in may, I just need to make sure I have a backup rig in case my new one goes awry lol.

anyway, how's this for a case http://www.antec.com/us/productDetai...?ProdID=61050# its 111 at zipzoomfly, and it comes with an antec 500w psu.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

Oh, and the case is going to be used in my upcoming pc "armageddon"- coming in may.

May? Conroe doesn't come till July and by Sept. all the 9 series will be dirt cheap and will be rev. C1.
I'm curious to see what this armageddon will consist of?

Everything else seems ok. Case? Yes, the TT Soprano is good but if you're going to build a nice rig, then an I-STAR Nitro Ax is a better case, in terms of space and ability to do a nice wiring job. Like mine. That's an old picture, I haven't taken a recent one, soon.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasgul

May? Conroe doesn't come till July and by Sept. all the 9 series will be dirt cheap and will be rev. C1.
I'm curious to see what this armageddon will consist of?

Everything else seems ok. Case? Yes, the TT Soprano is good but if you're going to build a nice rig, then an I-STAR Nitro Ax is a better case, in terms of space and ability to do a nice wiring job. Like mine. That's an old picture, I haven't taken a recent one, soon.

It's probably going to take me a few months to build armageddon...I only have a 500 dollar paypal limit
so I can only spend 500 a month. (lol $2000/$500=4 months) so I guess armageddon is going to be done in August

Also, I'm probably going to use the case I have now for my new build...or I'm going to buy some really badassed case, but I'm REALLY pondering on getting a hiper 580w psu ahead of time for that new pc in may.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts