Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I think its time to replace my current system.

Running i7 3930K / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA 970 / 256 GB SAMSUNG PRO 950.

I do a lot of multi tasking (work) and game from time to time.

Budget 1500-2000 CAD.

I would like to keep it 'compact' and if possible quite.

Current case is huge, h110, lot of fans, etc, not into this any more, really :)

Please advise.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,853 Posts
Really not a huge need to replace the CPU so you could just replace the GTX 970 and call it a day

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
If six cores isn't enough, your best options would be an i7-7820X, i9-7900X, or going Threadripper. Otherwise I don't think it's really worth upgrading. Can you be more specific what you mean by "multi-tasking"?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hello All,

I think its time to replace my current system.

Running i7 3930K / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA 970 / 256 GB SAMSUNG PRO 950.

I do a lot of multi tasking (work) and game from time to time.

Budget 1500-2000 CAD.

I would like to keep it 'compact' and if possible quite.

Current case is huge, h110, lot of fans, etc, not into this any more, really :)

Please advise.

The 3930k doesn't perform any worse in games compared to an 8700k even with 1080Ti SLI, so unless you're experiencing specific hard limits in your productivity then you likely won't see any performance upgrading the platform. Not to say upgrading for a change of form factor or power consumption isn't justifiable, I did the same thing, but just wanted to make that clear.

Your first best bet would be to wait another month to see if Nvidia and Intel drop some new cool gear. If you absolutely cannot wait and want the best upgrade in your price, I'd go straight for a single 1080Ti Strix or similar and stop there. If you're insistent on upgrading the platform now we need more information on what you want to achieve regarding size, noise, and specific application performance.

How compact are you trying to go? Micro-ATX? Mini-ITX? Or just a small ATX case?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Moving to skylake(yes we’re still on skylake) you will see massive improvements just to basic desktop use with improvements from features like speedshift and AVX instructions.
Picking out exact models like 8700k or 7980xe is your choice but if you go to the 2066 socket I would definitely recommend delidding and using the der8auer die frame as 30 degrees off a cpu will make a big difference in noise and overclocks.

Alternatively threadripper offers most of the benefits skylake would

·
Registered
202 Posts
The 3930k doesn't perform any worse in games compared to an 8700k even with 1080Ti SLI, so unless you're experiencing specific hard limits in your productivity then you likely won't see any performance upgrading the platform. Not to say upgrading for a change of form factor or power consumption isn't justifiable, I did the same thing, but just wanted to make that clear.

Your first best bet would be to wait another month to see if Nvidia and Intel drop some new cool gear. If you absolutely cannot wait and want the best upgrade in your price, I'd go straight for a single 1080Ti Strix or similar and stop there. If you're insistent on upgrading the platform now we need more information on what you want to achieve regarding size, noise, and specific application performance.

How compact are you trying to go? Micro-ATX? Mini-ITX? Or just a small ATX case?
In a primarily cad machine compactness is not usually the focus rather future upgradability and room to store drives.

·
Registered
874 Posts
In a primarily cad machine compactness is not usually the focus rather future upgradability and room to store drives.

I just asked because he said he'd like to keep it "compact" in the OP and it'd be nice to know exactly what he means by that moving forward. Also it's hard to recommend an upgrade from X79 without knowing specifically what he wants to achieve. In the current market it's easy to waste a lot of money and achieve virtually no performance improvement if you're not careful. Better render performance? Better viewer performance? Better gaming? More simultaneous application performance? Et cetera. Just a few details and we could give a much better recommendation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts