Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from yrs old OC FX-8350 build to Ryzen goodness. I know the X variants of course can be OC, but what if any OC potential for non X variant of 2600?
The low TDP of this chip appeals to me & 3.9Ghz Turbo speed would be good enough for bulk of AAA games today. But can you get more performance?

So my question is really do any of the mobo builders have options in bios or otherwise to boost further 2600 performance?

Sorry for the nOOb question! lol... thx in advance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Unusual how AMD designates X to slightly higher clock speeds with basically same series name. I mistakenly presumed the non X version had locked multi.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thanks, Unusual how AMD designates X to slightly higher clock speeds with basically same series name. I mistakenly presumed the non X version had locked multi.
That's an Intel thing. With AMD, the X variants get higher stock clocks and a better boxed cooler. Of course, if you're planning on overclocking, you'll hopefully be putting on better cooling so that shouldn't matter.

One thing to note is that with XFR2, some of the motherboard manufacturers have built in power limit unlocks for use with that feature. In some cases simply enabling those settings in the UEFI can get you better results than doing a full manual OC on all cores.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's an Intel thing. With AMD, the X variants get higher stock clocks and a better boxed cooler. Of course, if you're planning on overclocking, you'll hopefully be putting on better cooling so that shouldn't matter.

One thing to note is that with XFR2, some of the motherboard manufacturers have built in power limit unlocks for use with that feature. In some cases simply enabling those settings in the UEFI can get you better results than doing a full manual OC on all cores.

Thanks, the appeal of 5 & a bit watts per thread with 2600 is mighty appealing, at least in stock format.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
The X series CPUs have a longer boost , i.e. they don't drop clocks as quickly to maintain TDP (thermal design power).

If you're manually overclocking then it's not as applicable.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlphaC, manual OC can be fun, but thx for the advice.

·
DRAM Obsessor
1,033 Posts
Coming from yrs old OC FX-8350 build to Ryzen goodness. I know the X variants of course can be OC, but what if any OC potential for non X variant of 2600?
The low TDP of this chip appeals to me & 3.9Ghz Turbo speed would be good enough for bulk of AAA games today. But can you get more performance?

So my question is really do any of the mobo builders have options in bios or otherwise to boost further 2600 performance?

Sorry for the nOOb question! lol... thx in advance.

Although Im not running a 2600 I would suggest one of the better mobos. Personally, Id recommend a ROG CH7 Hero because everything on it is built to take punishment. VRMs run cool, Memory OC is amazing, LLC settings are awesome, even Buildzoid said everything on it was massive overkill and he always rips apart everything he reviews :D Bios also has loads of settings to choose from.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although Im not running a 2600 I would suggest one of the better mobos. Personally, Id recommend a ROG CH7 Hero because everything on it is built to take punishment. VRMs run cool, Memory OC is amazing, LLC settings are awesome, even Buildzoid said everything on it was massive overkill and he always rips apart everything he reviews :D Bios also has loads of settings to choose from.
Thanks, but I'm not desperate to upgrade atm, but doing research. I'll take not of that MB though. Gunna wait for B450 boards be released. Expected 2nd half this yr. I'm single monitor gamer so only need 1 dedicated slot for gpu.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts