Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I have built two computers in my time through the help of the Micro Center store in Sharonville, OH.

My first was a house build with a free Nvidia 660 Ti I got from my workplace. It had a basic free Gigabyte board that came with the FX-6300 that was a neat choice at the time. 8GB of ram were put in it because the parents do not know when to restart the computer so that is best for them.

My current build is my gaming PC and it has a little more power. It is running:

CPU: Intel i-5 4690K [$120 Thank You Micro Center
smile.gif
] http://ark.intel.com/products/80811/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Sapphire AMD RADEON R9 290 x2 (Crossfire) [Picked these up for $200 from a friend] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125479
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 [Sweet open box deal, says 3x16 PCI?] http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#hero-overview
PSU: Corsair CS850M Watt Gold Class http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cs-series-modular-cs850m-850-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu
Memory: Crucial 2x4GB 1600 MHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544
Storage Memory: 1. Samsung Evo 840 [Amazing little drive, Only Samsung from this point forward!] http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd840evo/overview.html
2. Western Digital 5000 RPM 500 GB Drive
Box: Z11 Plus "High Performance" [Ultimately Looked cool and was $30] http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-High-Performance-Tower-Case/dp/B00AC8QKI6
Monitor: Auria EQ278CG 27" TN 144Hz. [The color depth is way better than I am used to for TN!] http://www.microcenter.com/product/432788/EQ278CG_27_1080p_LED_Monitor

Hope you like my box! I find it fun to play on so far. I am just now trying to perfect my system and installed a few pieces of software.

First was this neat piece called Samsung Magician. It optimizes your SSD for your set up and I get some Extreme read and write speeds (see below).

Next I installed MSI Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. This software lets me look into the secrets of my CPU and memory sticks. It seems like it has greater abilities too but I am limited at this time.

I play games like League of Legends, Assassins Creed, Civilization, Battlefield, Thief, The Sims, etc.

My questions for the forum members:
How can I read up on how to become a better overclocker? I know hardware but have no idea what makes it work together (Why did the 8320 with 2 GPUs fell way short of my i5 4690K?).

New tuck pics!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
How can I read up on how to become a better overclocker? I know hardware but have no idea what makes it work together (Why did the 8320 with 2 GPUs fell way short of my i5 4690K?).

read this informative guide
http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Can I overclock my CPU with the stock cooler (do i need the hyper 212?) and will it enhance my system?
I dont advise it.... I wouldnt even spend $30 on a hyper 212 at least on a NHD-14

Should I overclock my Graphics Card(s) [Do I really even need two]?
i think you meant too, no you don't unless you feel the need to gain 1-20% depends on your ambient temperature of your room, air flow, and what you want - read up on it first before you attempt

How do the graphics card(s) work with Radeon Pro Software (That stuff is confusing!)
what is radeon pro software.... sounds like wizarderrryyy

Why are my Graphics cards only running in x8 when the board I am using clearly says 3 x16 PCI slots!?! (This means my graphics cards are overworking right?)

because you have it running in XFIRE - its x16 when single, x8/x8 in XFIRE - becareful of your temperatures on your 290x

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulwrath View Post

read this informative guide
http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Will Do.

Can I overclock my CPU with the stock cooler (do i need the hyper 212?) and will it enhance my system?
I dont advise it.... I wouldnt even spend $30 on a hyper 212 at least on a NHD-14

That is expensive yo, care to elaborate? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

Should I overclock my Graphics Card(s) [Do I really even need two]?
i think you meant too, no you don't unless you feel the need to gain 1-20% depends on your ambient temperature of your room, air flow, and what you want - read up on it first before you attempt

It was a play on words, but I have two cards and wanted to know if running them together is worth it.

How do the graphics card(s) work with Radeon Pro Software (That stuff is confusing!)
what is radeon pro software.... sounds like wizarderrryyy

http://www.radeonpro.info/

Why are my Graphics cards only running in x8 when the board I am using clearly says 3 x16 PCI slots!?! (This means my graphics cards are overworking right?)

because you have it running in XFIRE - its x16 when single, x8/x8 in XFIRE - becareful of your temperatures on your 290x
So effectively running Crossfire is a bottleneck? What do you mean be careful?

Thanks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hawaii cards (290/290x) run extremely hot to begin with, and running crossfire doubles the amount of heat being dumped into your case. The top card in particular usually gets hot due to having the lower card blocking its breathing room and exahusting hot air into the other's intake if it isn't a blower. Having the cards run in x8 vs x16 is going to make no noticeable difference, x8 is plenty for a card.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkston View Post

Hawaii cards (290/290x) run extremely hot to begin with, and running crossfire doubles the amount of heat being dumped into your case. The top card in particular usually gets hot due to having the lower card blocking its breathing room and exahusting hot air into the other's intake if it isn't a blower. Having the cards run in x8 vs x16 is going to make no noticeable difference, x8 is plenty for a card.
Oh okay, thanks for letting me know. Is this cooler the first guy recommends worth the purchase over the liquid cooler at the same price?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Higher-end air coolers like the D14 are in the same ballpark as the AIO water coolers. A good air cooler will usually do better than the 120/140mm water coolers, and similarly to slightly worse than the larger 240/280mm ones. Its mostly preference, but a lot of people prefer large air coolers as there are simply fewer parts that can break.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Ok, for starters, you'd need better speed ram to get a good overclock, I guess, 2133 at least cl9. gskill got a good kit
wink.gif
(i don't work for them..).

Judging by the high end nature of your build, I would go for something more fancy than a hyper 212, something like a noctua Nd15, Phanteks top cooler, Cryorig.. depending your taste, but from what I've seen performance wise, the Nd-15 seems the best out there, altought you could just go with that and get a nice MID range overclocking.

No you don't NEED to overclock cards, plus, stock cooler, you gonna have troubles, this thing will soon sound like a vaccum cleaner, not even joking, if you really want to overclock, add aftermarket cooler, with proper VRM cooling, or water cooler, but remember to keep the VRM cooled, this needs some kind of .. technical knowledge, I wouldn't mind doing it, especially on stock cooler cards like these, but I'd be lazy to, not gonna lie.

To the question do you even need to, well, run the heavyest game you have(and that you play regularly..), max it, and see your FPS, of course MSAAx4 and things like that tends to eat more graphic power than it actually helps making things better (in my opinion anyway, I have it disabled in bf4).

Since you have a 144hz, you could potentially benefit from overclocking it, depends what game you play most I would say.

Of course crossfire runs on x8 don't worry about it. I don't think any multi GPU systems runs in x16 x16, altought, I can't say for sure maybe the high end x99 boards mmh? not sure.

Regarding the softwares, you should be able to figure this out on your own, best of luck, nice PC you have
wink.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: Urbane

·
Registered
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongForce View Post

Ok, for starters, you'd need better speed ram to get a good overclock, I guess, 2133 at least cl9. gskill got a good kit
wink.gif

Judging by the high end nature of your build, I would go for something more fancy than a hyper 212, something like a noctua Nd15, Phanteks top cooler, Cryorig.. depending your taste, but from what I've seen performance wise, the Nd-15 seems the best out there, altought you could just go with that and get a nice MID range overclocking.

No you don't NEED to overclock cards, plus, stock cooler, you gonna have troubles, this thing will soon sound like a vaccum cleaner, not even joking, if you really want to overclock, add aftermarket cooler, with proper VRM cooling, or water cooler, but remember to keep the VRM cooled, this needs some kind of .. technical knowledge, I wouldn't mind doing it, especially on stock cooler cards like these, but I'd be lazy to, not gonna lie.

To the question do you even need to, well, run the heavyest game you have(and that you play regularly..), max it, and see your FPS, of course MSAAx4 and things like that tends to eat more graphic power than it actually helps making things better (in my opinion anyway, I have it disabled in bf4).

Since you have a 144hz, you could potentially benefit from overclocking it, depends what game you play most I would say.

Of course crossfire runs on x8 don't worry about it. I don't think any multi GPU systems runs in x16 x16, altought, I can't say for sure maybe the high end x99 boards mmh? not sure.

Regarding the softwares, you should be able to figure this out on your own, best of luck, nice PC you have
wink.gif
What? High-speed RAM isn't needed for overclocking. Haswells can make better use of it, but it's hardly required. Mostly agree on coolers, you should get 4.2-4.5ghz on a 212 with good airflow. I got an Ivy to 4.5 on a 212, it mostly comes down to silicon lottery.

I will agree that overclocking the GPUs is probably a bad idea in your situation. Those things are going to run like jet engines even at stock clocks. Generally you pick either overclocking or crossfire, not both(unless doing a custom water loop). In crossfire the cards run at the speed of the slowest card, so it limits you somewhat even if heat/noise isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
not "needed" but it is better.. especially if you want to achieve high overclocking, I may be wrong though, I rather have more speed than I need than not enough and be limited by my ram

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't argue with the best. Great recommendation, it looks tits too!

I played around with the overdrive utility today and wow... what a joke. Not going to increase fan speeds on these jets of graphics cards.

Why would I need higher frequency RAM? Does it make much of a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongForce View Post

wink.gif

wink.gif
What is this "Ivy?" And I'd rather use the 212 at a tad slower clock if I could because I don't need to be screaming a processor to its edge
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkston View Post

What? High-speed RAM isn't needed for overclocking. Haswells can make better use of it, but it's hardly required. Mostly agree on coolers, you should get 4.2-4.5ghz on a 212 with good airflow. I got an Ivy to 4.5 on a 212, it mostly comes down to silicon lottery.

I will agree that overclocking the GPUs is probably a bad idea in your situation. Those things are going to run like jet engines even at stock clocks. Generally you pick either overclocking or crossfire, not both(unless doing a custom water loop). In crossfire the cards run at the speed of the slowest card, so it limits you somewhat even if heat/noise isn't an issue.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Hey sorry its been a while and I am glad someone told you why you need to be cautious with the 290x - for ram all you have to do is buy the fastest ram before it becomes exponentially expensive. usually 1866 - 2133 2x4 ram

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A quick google search turned up nope on the anything faster then 1600mhz 2x4 doing anything...

confused.gif

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
hi..nice build your doing..
1-anything above 1600mhz ram speed is pointless...it only benefits you if youre going to be doing heafty multitasking -video renedring/encoding while gaming and photoshop..ect

2-dont even bother with stock coolers..
use the 212 from the start..if temps are out of bounds..get what was said as minimum - nh d14/15/cryorg r1 ultimate/ph tc14pe(ive got one and its 10/10 after 1.5ys usage still)
aio coolers- h105/100i / cm seidon 240m/nepton 240m /280 L...

gpu - use msi afterburner for full and total aio software for gpus..its got it all these days..fps display..osd functions..temps..cpu..ram ..all of it..
setup custom fan profile for the cards accordingly to temps..say 50°c @ 60% fan..and so forth..youll gonna have to run a benchmark while tweaking the gpus and fan profiles..like heavan or valley..good benchmarks to get a idea of overall baseline perf and allows you to run at window mide while tweaking afb..
-gpu airflo - you can try running the 2nd gpu in the 3rd slot - to improve airflo between the two
plus if you can add a fan on the side.panel as intake itll help them alot

and always..cable mangement bro..use as many zips as yo can and keep the cables flattend down or behind the mobo..and out of the way...

pm me anytime..im a professional builder..its my hobby..my passion..proffesion...i live for the thrill of a new build

ps- awsome rig dude..wish our stores were so cheap like micro center

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-PREDATOR View Post

hi..nice build your doing..
1-anything above 1600mhz ram speed is pointless...it only benefits you if youre going to be doing heafty multitasking -video renedring/encoding while gaming and photoshop..ect

2-dont even bother with stock coolers..
use the 212 from the start..if temps are out of bounds..get what was said as minimum - nh d14/15/cryorg r1 ultimate/ph tc14pe(ive got one and its 10/10 after 1.5ys usage still)
aio coolers- h105/100i / cm seidon 240m/nepton 240m /280 L...

gpu - use msi afterburner for full and total aio software for gpus..its got it all these days..fps display..osd functions..temps..cpu..ram ..all of it..
setup custom fan profile for the cards accordingly to temps..say 50°c @ 60% fan..and so forth..youll gonna have to run a benchmark while tweaking the gpus and fan profiles..like heavan or valley..good benchmarks to get a idea of overall baseline perf and allows you to run at window mide while tweaking afb..
-gpu airflo - you can try running the 2nd gpu in the 3rd slot - to improve airflo between the two
plus if you can add a fan on the side.panel as intake itll help them alot

and always..cable mangement bro..use as many zips as yo can and keep the cables flattend down or behind the mobo..and out of the way...

pm me anytime..im a professional builder..its my hobby..my passion..proffesion...i live for the thrill of a new build

ps- awsome rig dude..wish our stores were so cheap like micro center
Thank you. I installed the Hyper 212 Evo and got more into the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. It offers so many different tweaks, and I tweaked voltages and cache things to increase my processor response up to a stable 4.4 GHz (proven with RealBench from ROG). I see what you mean about cooling though. I am getting temps maxing out at 68 *C under heavy load and it is always worth keeping an eye on.

I also totally rewired my set up now that nothing will change about it for quite some time. I will add pics to the first page!

I unfortunately could not put the GPU in slot 3 because the PSU is too close and wont let the GPU settle in. Bigger box next time!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
glad to hear success..
check my sig for a litlle fun..my next project is starting soon as soon as funds allow it..

put pics up of it all dude..your front.rear..interior..rear..i want to c it all...
wow 68? thats pretty decent for 212...you can even lower that if you do push pull with better fans or just two of the identical ones ...nice..shame about the gpu positioning..hows gpu temps?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts