Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 9800GTX+ that I threw into a second rig and FahMan is reporting ~ 6500 PPD for it and for my 4890 in my sig rig I see ~ 3200 PPD.

Is there something that nvidia cards have that folding takes full advantage of?

Oh and what is the difference between WUs (A1, A3 etc.)

Sorry for the noob questions.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doritos93
View Post

I have an old 9800GTX+ that I threw into a second rig and FahMan is reporting ~ 6500 PPD for it and for my 4890 in my sig rig I see ~ 3200 PPD.

Is there something that nvidia cards have that folding takes full advantage of?

Oh and what is the difference between WUs (A1, A3 etc.)

Sorry for the noob questions.

In terms of your initial question, yes. Nvidia > ATI for folding. As for the actual reason why, it essentially has to do with how things are computed on the cards. Things like PhysX and CUDA work to boost Distributed Computing (folding). It can vary depending on the work unit though - for some work units, my 5850 brings home ~5400 PPD (384 pt WUs). For 511 pt WUs, I get closer to 4600.

In terms of A1 vs A3, A3 are SMP2 Work units and qualify for bonuses. If you click on the link in my sig about 'why are my PPD so low?' there's a link all about SMP folding and how to get setup, but essentially you have to do the following:

1) Be running the 6.29 Windows Beta SMP Client
2) Obtain a Passkey (Instructions in the link below)
3) Complete 10 A3 (or A2) work units
4) Complete 80% of them within the preferred deadline (usually three days).

As demonstrated by Furious_Porkchop's propulsion through the ranks yesterday, the 10th WU actually qualifies for bonus points (look at his history - 9 WUs at 25403 (these are A2/BIGADV work units). The 10th one meant he qualified, and he got 55k points for it).

A1 work units dont qualify for bonuses are are GROMACS cores. They tend to run about 1780 points and on an i7 near 4ghz take approximately 12 hours to complete. A3s are smaller (~6 hours to complete) but only worth a base of 4-500 points. It's the completion bonuses which make these worthwhile.

And there are no noob questions, only newb questions. Everyone was a newb once.

• Rep+
Reactions: zodac

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Nvidia uses Cuda Cores and ATI open CL that being said folding is optimized for cuda so Nvidia is better then ATI always one 8800Gt folds as good or better then a 5870....

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post
Thanks for posting, I am checking out your FAQ as I type this.
Edited and expounded on my response above.

Welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts