Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of wanting to get back to PC gaming I finally took the leap and got a gaming rig. It was also my first solo build from scratch (I've replaced components on computers previously) so I'm doing my due diligence on everything before I leap into anything. I got it running beautifully right now and updated all the drivers. I overclocked the GPU with ASUS's factory overclock settings. I want to overclock the CPU but it will be a little more difficult than the GPU since it's not as simple as switching to OC mode. I'm looking for some guidance like articles or videos that do a good job of explaining to a novice like myself.

Main PC: Intel i7-8700k | Corsair H115i Pro | ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3200Mhz |11GB ASUS GTX 1080Ti Strix OC | 500GB Samsung 860 Pro | Corsair 1000W | Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
That's a crazy system for your first. You won't have to replace anything for a while. I hope you're at least gaming at 1440p. If you're only gaming at 1080p, you went a little overboard. If you're gaming at 4K, you'll probably look to upgrade your video card in a couple years.

The only thing I see missing in your list is storage. A 500 GB SSD isn't going to hold very many games. You can get a 2 TB HDD for around $70 to $80 to store your games. Gaming from a SSD doesn't have any tangible benefits. Games will load quickly enough from a HDD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts