Overclock.net banner

"New" To Nvidia, questions with XFX GTX 260

907 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Kvjavs 
#1 ·
Hi everybody.

I'm considering of converting over to Nvidia, but was curious on my upcoming purchase. I was looking at getting a GTX 260 from BFG Tech, which are the 216 Core models (or whatever you all call them
) or this XFX GTX 260. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...fx%20gtx%20260

Several reviews say it's not the 216 version, others say it is, I was curious of anybody can confirm whether or not its the 216 version for sure.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
it doesn't say in the specifications, so i don't know, go to xfxforce.com and use the model number given to you by newegg to find the detailed specs about the specific card. Now, why not get a 5770? same performance for cheaper, and you won't kill polar bears when you turn on your computer

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FieryCoD
View Post

According to one of the reviewers, it is indeed the Core 216 version.

But according to other reviewers it is the 192 version. That's why im confused, and the XFX website doesn't give more info other than their regular GTX 260 page, which DOES say 216 and 55nm but not for that specific one.

If i cannot find out I might just go with the BFG Tech ones on Tigerdirect

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvjavs
View Post

But according to other reviewers it is the 192 version. That's why im confused, and the XFX website doesn't give more info other than their regular GTX 260 page, which DOES say 216 and 55nm but not for that specific one.

If i cannot find out I might just go with the BFG Tech ones on Tigerdirect

Seeing as the 192 versions from Newegg are $199, and the Core 216 versions are $20+ more than them, I'm gonna take the chance and say that it's the 216 version.

I doubt XFX would sell the 192 shader version, since it's

A) The only GTX 260 on Newegg by them
B) The other 192 shader GTX 260's are sold out
C) A 192 shader for the same price as a 216 shader?

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FieryCoD
View Post

Seeing as the 192 versions from Newegg are $199, and the Core 216 versions are $20+ more than them, I'm gonna take the chance and say that it's the 216 version.

I doubt XFX would sell the 192 shader version, since it's

A) The only GTX 260 on Newegg by them
B) The other 192 shader GTX 260's are sold out
C) A 192 shader for the same price as a 216 shader?

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Thanks for helping out

#10 ·
I zoomed in on the pic to get the model number off the back GX-260X-ADJC.
Not only is it the core 216 version it's XFX's "Core Edition".
I have 2 (GX-260X-ADJF though both are Core Edition 55nm) and I love them both do 738/1524/1134 vs 576/1242/1000 stock.
Now that doesn't mean EVERY one of them will.... but it's still a great card

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Produc...e=GraphicCards
Check out the various model numbers for more info

#11 ·
Go with BFG or EVGA.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iching
View Post

Go with BFG or EVGA.

Yeah I was reading a bit more last night, just didn't post it here, but I guess BFG Tech also has a "Step-up" program for their cards. So I might just go with the BFG Tech ones.

Thanks again everybody.

Also, before I do pick up any Nvidia cards... did they fix their latest drivers? I mean, I heard they were causing some fans to short out. I really don't know much about Nvidia so if somebody could clarify that for me, it would be great.

#14 ·
OK So I decided I'm going to pick up the BFG Tech's and a SLI motherboard. I would have gone with a 790FX Mobo, but I liked the option of onboard on the MSI NF980 just incase if my cards come DoA/Fail (I plan on selling my 4770 to a friend).

Do I need 2 SLI Bridges for SLI? Are they even needed anymore? I heard it's optional, but advised to keep them in. I ask if I need 2 because it looks like the cards don't come with any, and the Mobo only has 1, and I believe with AMD/ATI Crossfire, you need 2 bridges.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.